Supplement non-medical advice thread

Might as well start a thread to see what you guys have tried and hear about individual experiences.

I have been taking a mix of things based on internet reqs from the likes of Huberman.

Morning time
Fenugreek:
I take 2/day.

I like it. My sweat smells like maple syrup and i’m not kidding. I started on this one when looking for testosterone enhancing supplements and there may be something to the uh… romantical impact.

I dont test for testosterone because im cheap, so ill never know.

Creatine powder:
I add ~5g in a bottle of vitamin water almost every day.

Not sure of any effects. I was hoping for improved cognative function* something or other.
If get back into anybsprt of fitness attempt it might be better.

5000 IU vitamin D3.
Meh. Not sure how i would know if it works.
Zinc 50 mg.
Same as D3

B12. I think i notice when i dont take it.
A bit more pep in my morning step*

Astaxanthin:
Not sure. Started before using skyrizi for psoriasis and it did not help that but maybe its good?

Acetyl l-carnitine
Unknown. I do t work out and im fat so i have pretty much stopped taking it.

Magnesium from amazon with with l-treonate, bisglycinate and malate or something.: again hoping for some pep in the morning. Hard to say it works. I think it helps, but its hard to say.

Sleepy time stuff.
Apigenin:
I cant really tell. Maybe i sleep better. I tend to toss and turn most of the night unless i drink way too much.

L-theanine
Hard to say*.

• means i drink enough but at different daily rates to effect my sleep and morning performance.

Off shore Modafinil(modalert):
Found some on the road and it definitely helps with focus.
Makes me sweat more than usual but if i don’t work out it’s less. But…pancakes…

Used it a bunch more back when i was on work travel and trying to get an MBA.
I try not to use it because the rabbit holes get deep unless you have the self discipline to focus on useful shit.

400 mg helped me get through what was basically a 42 hour work day. 7 hours were in the car so i could raid a plant for spare parts 3.5 hours from my project site.

It was christmas week so i was not going to send everyone home for the holiday and come back in January. I’m an asshole for sure.

What sort of regimen do you use.for what goals?

2 Likes

Great idea, I’ve just started down this but will update tomorrow

I don’t take many supplements. I try to get my nutrients from food. But I take turmeric for the health benefits. We make our own capsules here. We bought a bag of turmeric powder on eBay for like 20 bucks, a capsule machine, and buy gelcaps in packs of 1000. 1 pill a day. It’s really good for sore joints and other assorted ailments. It has anti-inflammatory properties too.

I know it’s not supplement related but we do ice baths 2 times a week when we are into our gym routines. We typically take Nov-Jan off from the gym though. The ice baths are AMAZING for recovery. I go into everything with a pessimistic mind, but can honestly say that the ice baths do indeed work as intended. I just don’t believe it’s something that you should do every day. Just my personal opinion. We use a small inflatable tub, and we have generic plastic tubs from the dollar store, that we fill with water and then freeze. 3 of these big bowls of ice can get the tub down to the mid 50’s.

Lift fairly heavy, minimal cardio. I’m 40 now and lift just to maintain my size, although im debating to try getting bigger this spring.
On a fairly low carb, high protein and fat diet.
I use creatine, fenugreek and a daily multi. Also drink 3-4 sugar free monsters a day, 600mg caffeine.
Good blood work and blood pressure, which i mostly atribute to the low carb diet.

It’s nice to see someone else uses fenugreek. Ironically, its is also used for breast feeding. Maybe that helped me put on some weight :smiley:

I will eventually get back to working out. It is just way too easy to work through lunch and skip the fitness center and also procrastinate on the hundreds of little things I have to do around the house.

I have tried others, but do not take them regularly.

L-Arginine: The ones I have don’t taste great and you need 5 of them.
In general, I feel like they help with circulation. Like everything else, exercise would help.

Acetyl L-Carnitine:
Didn’t really notice any cognitive help.

Tongkat Ali: I stopped using it because I don’t exercise

Fadogia Agrestis: Same story
I need to fat shame myself into some exercise.

With all the crap I’ve tried, I should have taken notes.

yep, fenugreek is the creatine of 30 years ago IMO.
Great results with 0 side effects and super cheap.