VQ35DE in a 240sx can it be done?

Well i’ve searched the internet and this forum and haven’t been able to find much about this swap.

With out talking about money imagian you just won the lottery and wanted something unqiue could it work?

I think it would be an interesting swap since the VQ is made of aluminum block and most other parts are as well i’m sure it doesn’t weight to much more than a stock KA (haven’t been able to find exact figuers) and wouldn’t throw the weight ratio of the car off to much. And its an NA motor of close to 300hp which can easily be modded to more.

I know it might be pointless because for the money you could easily have a highly modded SR or whatever but lets just say you really wanted to.

There is a lot of work,
someone did it in a s14 I beleve but I do not have the link to the webpage.

but I know there was a lot of work and $$

this has been done a couple times i think… search on FA.

but you are correct in that for the money you could have a much more powerful SR or even an RB in the car. both are easier swaps.

considering that signal auto took one OUT of a fairlady in exchange for an SR should tell you that its not worth the money/hassle/time

The biggest problem with this swap is the width.

The VQ35DE is super wide. The cylinder heads are huge, and the motor has quite an agressive V shape.

Granted this is in an S12 (strut towers are angled a bit more in, but engine bay is same size and it’s a VGDET, but the engines are the same dimensions) … then again, these cars came with VG30Es from the factory, and they fit no problem.

God help him if he ever has to change a turbo

It can be done. It would be cool to have a big HP NA motor in an S14. It would essentially be a 350Z, but about 400lbs lighter.

The engine is probably lighter than the KA if not about the same weight.
(VQ has been thoroughly lightened internally)

Because of the V6 orientation, the weight will sit further behind the crossmember, in reality probably improving the handling and you’d make off with a 6-speed.

But a VQ isn’t cheap to buy (you’d need one out of a 350Z or G35 coupe) are OBDII and by all accounts have demonic engine control units.

But you did say if you won the lottery.

A VG30DE would be a lot more affordable, still pretty straight forward (you could probably use a Z31 crossmember) and stock you’d have 222hp /200 lb-ft. They respond pretty well to tuning too.

Some Formula D guys are actually looking to ditch the SR in favor of the VK45DE. More power, more torque and they can run them stock.

Guys have ripped out 13BREWs in favor of the SR too, but that doesn’t mean the 13BREW is a stone.

What Signal does to their cars shouldn’t really concern you in any way. When you have a truck full of SR parts, an entire lineup full of aftermarket parts to keep the SR from shattering and a handful of guys who can tune them … why keep a motor you have no parts for, no experience tuning and no intention to start producing parts since it’s American market only?

matt you’ve done it again :bowdown:

well that s12 looks like it would fly thats an impressive swap, extremely tight.

I still think that if i did have a stupid amount of money i’d do it just because i think that an NA engine is always better than a turboed just because of the response and i really wouldn’t want over 400hp as a daily driver which i think you could get out of that engine with out turboing, ECU, exhuast, port polist, blue printing (remember i’m stupid rich lol)

Plus it would be different and differents always good

As for the guys that swaped an SR into the 350z. I’m not sure i understand why that would be a better call to get more hp? Arn’t there good twin turbo set ups for the VQ. The only other thing i could think is that the SR would rev higher and thats always nice… but i’d like a real explainion

that was actually forsberg, and just cause he wanted to put in an SR doesnt mean the motor he was taking out was shit. that guy puts an SR in absolutly everything.

humm yea i think signal did as well tho…

GT

Couple of things, yea, the guy that did it is on FA and Zilvia. He originaly did a VQ30, and then converted to VQ35. There’s an S13 running a VQ30, an FC running a VQ30, and now the S14 with the 35. With the S13 there were issues with clearance on the intake manifold with the hood, and the guy had to cut the hood, where on the S14 it did fit. I posted links to it in technical, it’s a really cool thread. The swap is pure custom work, and the motor is NOT from a 350Z or G35, the RWD VQ does NOT fit in an S chassis, you would be using the FWD VQ from a maxima or altima, etc… bolted to the RWD tranny. Issues off the top of my head… motor mounts, but that’s not that hard… the annoying part was the wiring, as well as a custom throw out bearing you have to use a maxima flywheel and a 350z clutch, and there’s too much space or something… I forget. Also you need a custom driveshaft, and the final drive on the S chassis is gayed b/c it makes first gear useless on the Z 6spd, so you would need to get a different rear end for the car to be any good. Go read the thread. Everything’s there, but I wouldn’t reccomend the swap to a novice, nor an expert without a SPARE car. It’ll take awhile, and you’ll need to drive something in the meanwhile :wink:

as matt said weight will sit a bit back, causing the car to be better balance, power from a n/a all around your tach, lots of torque, i dont see how this can be any worse than an sr if not even better if u add some power to it, it will be sweet, i’d rock that, just a tad expensive lol

Not only does it sit further back, it is lighter too, by about 30lbs or so. When it was installed in the S14, the front of the car shot up on the stock springs making it look like a 4x4 up front :lol: The guy that did the VQ30 in the S13 ended up making some vids of him vs. an evo. Now for some reason, he is still on stock rims&rubber, so it’s impossible for him to get traction, but when he does, the car goes apescat even with stock power. There’s so much torque it’s like BANANAS. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

oh dear god no :frowning:

oh dear god no :([/quote]

run away quickly NOW :stickpoke: :slap:

http://www.vqswap.com/

definately not worth the time or money -

NEVER. google them. c how they screw ppl over.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/314622

can you piss in a beer bottle?

…yes, with some time and concentration, pretty darn well too, even tho it may seem tight lmao.

Hopefully that answers your question :wink:

Did anyone have a look at the dates? Long finished thread.

Its now easy to do this swap. All it takes is money and dedication, like everything with cars.