VQ into s14 Swap

I am guessing most people would have stumbled onto this already but here is an ongoing report of a s14 with a VQ swap going in. I have just started to read but is very intresting.

I am wondering if if could be better then an SR20 swap. The intresting parts is the engine + tranny is actually lighter then the stock KA.

Might be worth a read

I think you forgot the link?

VQ35DE???

Link?

I’ve seen in the past people put CA18DET, RB20DET, SR20DET, RB25DET, RB26DETT, Rotaries, 2JZGTE, even small block chevys… but never a VQ35DE if that’s the engine.

Hmm cool :slight_smile:

its been done before, at least ive seen pictures of a VQ30 in the engine bay on an S14. the biggest problem is you have to relocate the shifter 6 inches forward by customizing the shifter linkage.

i dont know exactly how much but its nowhere near as much as that, on a vg30 its like 3 inches

Sorry my bad. Another reason to not post when tired. LOL

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67952681&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1

pfft vq :mamoru: :fruit:

Haha, seconded…

pfft vq
haha thirded

I just thought it was an intresting swap and someone thinking outside the box. The engines can produce a lot of power it is just that the performance parts are still limited because most people with them use them on 350’s, hence the cost.

I wouldn’t write it off without at least raising an eyebrow to the idea.

he engines can produce a lot of power it is just that the performance parts are still limited because most people with them use them on 350’s, hence the cost.

Actually the VQ35DE isnt very mod friendly. Youll get like 240-250whp with mods done to it. Sure turbo it and it makes just under 400whp but then you are looking at 10K +.

So for the work its going to take to put it in you are better off going the route that everyone and their mom has done…S…R.

Outside the box isnt always a good thing.

RB is easier and cheaper

• they sound like a wet fart lol :bsflag:

Inline 6 engines sound nice…

the VQ is superior to the RB in an s chassis as long as you have the skills to mount it. 3cyl long vs 6cyl long… WEIGHT.
have you guys ever driven a vq? they are soooo smooth. ive driven an rb25det and i can say i prefer the power delivery of the vq to the rb. now if i were going to go VQ id get myself a VQ30DET from a cefiro.

i dont know exactly how much but its nowhere near as much as that, on a vg30 its like 3 inches[/quote]

VG and VQ are different animals.

Shifter is about 6 inches back but it has a 6 inch extension piece that I can remove, it’ll take a little bit of work but shouldn’t be too bad.

allen

ofcourse all this depends on how you have your motor mounted… as far back as possible will place the shifter about 6inches further back than the stock opening in an s chassis.