What to do? Make STI fast and have slow DD or buy cheap fast car and keep STI as DD?

I’ve gone as long as I could without a car to toy with(2 yrs). My options are:

1. keep my sti the way it is and use it as a DD + inexpensive car to mod (civic, 240… etc)

2. Mod my STI and pick up a new dd (2.5RS, Accord… etc)

3. Sell the STI and pick up a nicer DD(IS250, 328xi… etc) and get a cheap car to mod also.

Option #3 isn’t my favorite but it’s still an option. Any suggestions?

why can’t you mod and dd?

Those should never go hand in hand.

I drive 100 miles a day… I won’t mod a car I can’t afford to drive off a cliff.

Buy something fuel efficient if you’re driving that much. STis suck for mileage.

The money you save could probably finance a decent project car…

I would snag an accord and mod the STi

Why does everyone feel the need to ask nyspeed? Not trying to be a dick, just saying you’ll eventually do whatever YOU want anyway.

If you are driving 100 miles daily, I can’t see any option that excludes driving a civic daily ( for mpg reasons ) as legitimate.

What are your interests in a ‘fun’ car? Track duty / HPDEs? Spirited street driver? Straight drag? Little of all?

edit:

Generally people hope that like minded individuals can provide some insight that they may have otherwise overlooked. When you are a kid,you ask your father/grandfather how to be a man because he knows what it’s like. If you asked your mother, you’d end up light in the loafers with an affinity towards hand lotion. It’s the same reason we don’t ask our girlfriends/wives about who to draft in fantasy football, they usually don’t have applicable experience.

i’d say option 1 or 3. that seems like the best idea if you ask me. though, if you’re driving that much each day, i’d probably look into a new daily driver that’s more fuel efficient.

Choice 2

in that case… #2

selling the sti and buying 2 new cars is going to be a pain in the ass and you’re going to lose money.

Driving 100 miles a day this really seems to be the only logical conclusion. Maybe not an accord… but something else to DD

yeah, only reason I said accord is because he mentioned it as a possibility.

I’m kinda stuck. The sti would be a great DD(and has been) if I weren’t driving 100 miles a day. I thought I’d post to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

I’d like to get back into drag racing, I haven’t been to a track in a while :frowning:

700 miles a week

20mpg STi
35 gallons of gas
~$140 ($4/gal)

35mpg Civic
20 gallons of gas
~$75 ($3.75/gal since it can run 87)

Saving $65/wk or $260/mo, probably enough to make the payment on a new or slightly used Civic…allowing you to mod the STi or sell it and spend the STi payment money plus any project car money all on a project…

Sell STI for 20k

Spend 5k on a very nice civic for DD/MPG duty.

Spend 10k on an LS1, 5k on mods. Destroy the track/streets.

Done deal. :slight_smile:

werd… I should have said during the work week (4-5 times a week) so I’m not quite at 700 miles/wk… closer to 500. Your numbers are accurate though. I spend more on gas than I do my car payment lol.

Haha yeah, I wondered if you meant only 100mi per weekday, but whatev, I already had the 700mi numbers. Leases on a Jetta or Rabbit are under $200/mo right now…they look like kinda fun cars and decent commuters.

You are a silly man. An STi is a perfect car to MOD and daily. I get low to mid 20’s (usually 23-24 mpg) driving 60 miles per day. This is with an Innovative tuning pro tune. I also track the car, and have had ZERO down time with it.

My car is about as modded as you can get with the stock turbo.

It takes allot of gas to justify buying a car.

That lease on the rabbit won’t work if he’s doing 500 miles a week, he would need a 26k yearly lease