whats the diff between the WRX, and WRX TR?

anyone know whats really different?

the “TR” at the end? - nah i dont know…

i believe it is just a trim level. the mirrors and a few other parts are not painted the body color.

The TR is a stripped down version. Non body color mirrors, no fog lights, different front seats, no spoiler, no 6-disc cd changer, no automatic climate control. I think that’s it.

No STI sideskirts

Thats about it though. Same brakes, same wheels, same engine.

the WRX TR adopts the same winning formula with its turbocharged four-cylinder engine – though deletes features like body-color exterior mirrors and replaces the WRX’s automatic climate control system with manual air conditioning.

and its $1,000 less

so the suspension, exhaust, and everything else is the same?

Mechanically yes it’s all the same.

Is it a rare model? I don’t recall ever seeing one.

You can brag and tell people it’s Ready to be Tuned!

A salesman at the stealership called it the “Tuner-Ready” model, which probably just means that it comes with a pre-voided warranty…

The TR does stand for “Tuner Ready”. So long as you only add SPT performance parts the warranty is 100% ok.

No its not rare. And you probably wouldn’t even know if you saw one. When the 06’s came out the only thing you could even find was a TR or a Limited. The regular WRX was very hard to come by. Now I don’t think there is that much of a problem, but then again, I haven’t been looking since I bought mine.

So its kinda like Subie’s version of the Evo RS then??

sorta kinda but not really. The TR still has a smaller turbo and no cool diff. The sti is the only thing that can be compared to the evo in any trim level the evo comes in IMO.

Ah gotcha. But along the same line of thought anyway.

Less creature comforts = less factory parts sitting on shelves in the garage for years

Pretty much.

don’t forget it only comes in manual ransmission…nothing wrong with a bare bones edition as they are still very comfortable car. we looked into trading he 05 in on one but the price diff between loans wasn’t what we wanted to handle at the moment.

im trying to decide between a used STI, or a new WRX. a used STI scares me though… i know how i would treat it :slight_smile:
now that they are putting the 2.5 in the WRX its really attractive to me.

I could not live with out my climate control in my STi :smiley: I dont know how I lived up to this point.

Thats cool that they are coming out with cheaper versions though. The WRX was always one of my favorite cars, but the price tag was always quite a bit above its competition. This helps make it more affordable, even if it is only 1000.00.

–mark