01 blazer rear end

i leave work later that night and on the way home just as im pulling onto my street i hear this loud clunk and then the ticking got very noticeable. today i go out to investigate and notice the passenger rear wheel has play in it when jacked up in the air. i pulled off the wheel and brakes and without any effort the half shaft slides right out! i pull the diff. cover and find the clip for the end of the halfshaft as well as two broken pcs of metal laying in the bottom of the case and can see a gear just laying in the as well. who knows anything about this and would be willing to give a hand or can point me in the right direction?

Is the pinion still solid, and did you chip off any ring gear teeth?

the only damage i noticed was 2 pcs of a 1" dia. shaft laying in the bottom of the case and a small gear just laying in there as well. i dont really know much about what im looking at in there. i also found the clip for the end of the halfshaft

hrm

next question check your glovebox for the RPO code G80. If it says that than you have a locking differential. The Units themselves are known as Gov Locks, theyre made by eaton.

They dont call them Gov Bombs for nuthin. Theyre horrendously weak. Theyre known to pop without warning

I got a nice one for sale … mine will NEVER break

am i looking at replacing the entire thing to be safe or is a rebuild possible?

FWIW: When I was loking for a locking/limited slip rear for my wagon I found out the blazer is the same unit. So then I found out Eaton makes a stronger unit. They sell them in Jegs, Summit, ect.

Go to a yard buy a whole rear end and install. Theres millions of those trucks in junk yards shouldnt cost much. I’ve had that happen taking those rear ends apart to replace axle seals before. by the time you get the separate parts it’s too much call Marks or 2060 on william or Clinton auto wrecking on clinton

^^^Hmm, I still want everything BUT the axle housing for my wagon. I didnt know they were really plentiful.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25569
i gues its just the season for these this to fall apart

M&M has a couple blazers, cant be more than $100