03/04 Cobra or 00+ C5...Thoughts?

My next purchase will be one of these cars. I am thinking spring '10

I have been in both cars…have always been partial to Mustangs but they are very close in price/power/“luxuries”

Just looking for some insight because I have been watching prices and a good example can be had from 18-25k easily.

Just looking for thoughts from owners etc.

I haven’t owned either, I’ve driven a 04 Cobra and a C5 z06 before. I would say c5 for sure over the cobra. It’s lighter, handles better and has a much better stance I think. The cobra whine is fun, but to me it’s c5 all the way. I liked the way it shifted better as well.

I would take the C5

I don’t know how they compare performance wise, but I certainly see way less vettes than mustangs.

See the thing I have always disliked about vettes/camaros/firebirds is that long nose and the view from inside the drivers compartment. Something about it doesnt appeal to me as much as the view from a mustang.

But I have really enjoyed driving the C5s when I had the chance…havent driven a Cobra but did drive a same body style Mach 1 a few times.

I think the vette interior is nicer but the cobra seats are better.

For me it’s always been like I feel like I’m sitting on the seat in the Mustang…while the Vette I felt in the seat, with a very capable car surrounding me. I dunno, it’s hard to put into words…but the Vette has always felt like a car that I just want to drive, and this is coming for a Mustang-owning nut of 13 years now.

Given your options I’d take the Cobra. exterior & interior style combined with performance @ (close to) stock reliability

Now, were this a discussion of a cobra vs a C6 - it’d be much tougher, as I like the C6 quite a bit more then the C5… and they are fast dropping to the price range of a clean low mileage cobra…

I guess I just don’t care how many of either you see around, as my toys are for Me :gotme:

I honestly didn’t feel that with the c5 when I drove one… I definitely agree though thats how the camaro/firebird feels. I’d get the c5

The thing I should mention is I want to buy a well modded/reliable clean car with working A/C that starts everytime I want to drive it and is comfortable to cruise in/road trip in and can put the hammer down when needed.

If you want to mod the car get the cobra.

Nothing overwhelming…I want better street manners than a track set up…but low 11’s doing it is fine for what I want.

this has fail written all over it. Just sayin.

I have known quite a few people that have purchased “well modded” (usually at a premium) mid to higher end vehicles so as to avoid having to do it themselves, and have had ALOT of little headaches over the years.
Two of em actually sold the cars, bought stock ones and did / paid for the modding themselves (albeit with less target power in mind) and apparently are alot happier with the overll finish of it all.

If thats the case, either car with bolts ons or a bottle (since you don’t race anyways) & a tweaked OEM tune will get you there (with tires). I’d look for a clean stock / close to stock base. It’s not like you’ll need to drop $10k & 4 months of shop time to make either of em fun.

C5…hopefully ill be owning one ,once i get a good job

Yeah…well I just have an awful taste in my mouth from doing that with the Z and losing $ when selling it.

If someone took the time and care to mod it right in the first place…it shouldnt be a problem…esp for the power levels I am looking for in these cars.

Intake/exhaust/tune etc. would put me where I want to be.

cobra :slight_smile:

no offense to Zfans, but these are different animals with completely different markets.

And, yea, basic mods will get you what you want… I assumed when you meant well-modded you were looking for a 10sec cruiser with all the amenities.

I still say Cobra or C6. :tup:

I wouldnt mind a car with more provided the bugs were worked out…like you mentioned.

C6 I think is a bit out of my range and it only makes C5’s cheaper :slight_smile:

Either will be much cheaper to mod than the Z was.

I say Vette because IMO while it still has that long noes in front that I’m not fond of, it has a better look. And it’s one generation behind style wise, while the Mustang is now 3 behind.

Oh, and added a poll.

Voted for the vette.

I know you said next spring, but look at this deal on a z06…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320396583950

And whos car was that :wink:

agreed though…c5…:nerd:

i have to go corvette on this one. in fairness though, i’ve never driven either.