04/22/2007 ECC-N WNY Event 1 Thread

[quote=“JayS,post:114,topic:27647"”]

^ it’s real simple. Get your speed right before you turn. Turn + Lifting throttle in an MR = spin.

The best way to take a slalom is steady throttle. Brake when the car is straight, then turn. Really, it’s the same for most cars, it’s just that MR’s make you pay a lot more when you brake or lift at the wrong time.

I miss my Fiero. :frowning:

[/quote]

2 things:

• you can use the throttle lift oversteer to your advantage once you get over being scared of it and are smooth with your steering imputs. I used this many many many times, especially if in the turn-arounds at ECCN. A quick lift to float the rear end could easily save 20 ft of plowing
  • and on the slalom comment, I’ve been yelling at Wolff for the past 2 weeks for thinking the same thing. I garuntee you are lossing a lot of time with that aproach. i think it all comes from always hearing people talk about being smooth, so people take that too far. Anyways, the reason this is bad is, none of us are so incredibly awesome that we know exactly what the maximum maintainable speed is in a slalom. So if you’re maintain a steady speed through a slalom, how do you know how close or far you are from the breaking point. You always want to use every opertunity to be on the gas excelerating, not maintain constant speed, and you don’t back off till the front tires start to get overworked and thus stop working.