04 Jetta 2.0 5speed help

I bought this car from my neighbors that had the car sit for a year or so. The car runs and drives fine Mines reverse. I can not get the car to engage reverse at all. Even going under the hood and moving the golf club. I’m also not sure what exactly reverse is though. Anyone run into this?

You do realize you need to actually push the shifter down before you shift left than forward… Correct?

Yes, even pushing the shifter down and forward only gets me first gear.

Are you able to get all 5 other gears? If so what happens when you have the shifter in the position of where reverse should be? If you get neutral while in reverse, then you have a transmission issue. If you get a different gear, then the linkage is not adjusted correctly.

Reverse gets me 1st. After some Googling I’m. Wondering if the shifter bushings are toast.

It could easily be the bushings. May as well replace them with some poly/metal bushings. ECS should have them

And there’s a way to zero out the front back/side to side. There’s a video on Diesel Geeks website.

Just watched it. I was wondering what that pin was for.

Figured it out. The golf club thing wasn’t going down into the trans far enough. Seeing the car sat for a while everything just needs some lube