08 Colbalt SS TURBO

It has a lot to do with gearing too, which I already mentioned. LNF nor the LSJ is all that impressive.

I loved the gearing in my cobalt. First gear was a bit too short but no complaints after that. I could hit around 118 in third gear. Only had to shift twice in the 1/4. Mind you i wasn’t trapping crazy high, but it was only a bolt on car. On the street it was great. It was one of the major factors in taking out most of the local srt’s. (Less shifting)

You realize how much faster you could be with shorter gears then what it has?

Wifey has a sky turbo(redline) and I used to read it was 13.9 sec stock. and 5.5 0-60.
Just what I read never raced it as it still is only upto about 300 miles
D

i believe the blocks are different. I know that the LSJ and L61 are the same blocks. the LSJ is just a de-stroked version with better internals. is the crankshaft in the LNF forged like the LSJ?

Its good that GM is building these cars with some decent power. It’ll be interesting in years to come to see the HHR Turbo and Cobalt SS Turbo once they get more of an aftermarket following and tuning.

i agree, although i’m not a fan of the turbo HHR, i’m not a fan of the styling.

Anyone think dodge will bring something out to compete with the cobalt? something along the lines of the neon srt-4 again. i know they have the turbo caliber but thats in the HHR’s class.

the direct injection is an awesome setup only because the “injectors” have around 1500psi at least in my car (DISI in the mazdaspeed) and the way the fuel system is setup in my car is re-tarded! im sure chevy has a much more simple fuel system…you wouldnt have to get upgraded injectors if you swap turbos or up the boost…the only thing you would have to do is get an in-tank fuel pump and your fuel problems are all done…my duty cycle at WOT is like less than 20% for the injectors so theres def a lot of room to play…the car should be pretty fun tho even though FWD blows…i wanna see some do a RWD swap in a slobalt, that would be tits!

someone is doing a RWD swap on cobaltss.net

they turned the LSJ 90 degrees and are using a ford rear end i believe.

shit it has been tubbed also. twin turbo rear wheel drive cobalt. looking to hit 700-800 hp. He has had alot of parts made one off.

i dont understand why he’s running a smaller turbo and then a larger one. i thought you couldn’t do that because it would cause pressure differences in the cylinders.

How would it?

nvm. i’m retarded. its a inline 4 duh…i was thinking of a conversation i was having with my engineering teacher in high school. it wouldnt work on a V-style engine. at least thats what he was saying. because if you have a smaller turbo on bank 1 and then a larger on bank 2 it would cause pressure differences.

You could run a sequential twin turbo on a V style motor if you so desired.

right. we were talking about seperate manifolds on each bank with a different turbo.

now with a sequential twin turbo setup, how does it actually work? if you have a smaller turbo set at say 12lbs then a larger one at say 20lbs. does it cram 32lbs of boost into the engine?

You run two wastegates. One on manifold and one on the downpipe that goes from outlet of the first to the inlet of the second. Set your boost controller to cut boost when you want them too. The waste gate from the manifold will always dump back into the downpipe with the second wastegate to help continue spooling the larger turbo. Correct me if I’m wrong people.

EDIT: I think I’m talking about 2-step turboing.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/pix/R2S.jpg
http://home.online.no/~arban/Pics/2%20step%20turbo.jpg

what if you ran 2 internally gated turbos set at different PSI?

I don’t understand what the “no-lift shift” is in the car? Even on ss.net no one knows for sure… ahh nevermind I answered my own question… “upshifts can be performed very quickly without lifting the throttle. An algorithm in the engine’s controller enables this high-performance feature, which helps maximize acceleration and gear changes.” And I think the turbo is probably maxed out already, apparently it uses the same turbo that the Audi/VW 1.8T motors use and it’s running around 20psi.

yea i think its a k04 with twin scroll. someone with a sky redline upped the boost to 23psi and gained around 30-40hp with a tune.

Its not the same as the Audi/VW 1.8T. Its very similar but has some slight differences. No one knew what those differences were last I checked.