1000 cc vs 600 cc v. track racing

We were talking about this last night about how a lot of good riders say that can take a 1000 cc on a track any day. What is the reasoning behind this.

Our logic is that when the two bikes come into a turn, they both take it around the same speed and take off. If the 600 stays in its powerband at like 6-8k and the 1000 stays in a 3k, the 600 can probably take off quicker but the 1000 will keep up since the smaller bike needs to upshift sooner.

Anyone can explain the logic and science of this assuming both riders are the same skill?

were you talking about this before or after you hopped on the sorority train?

during

maybe older bikes where 600s were significantly lighter.
now they all weigh the same, 1000s have a lot more power and a better powerband, it would pwn a 6

a pro rider on a 600 would outhandle and race an average rider on a 1000. a pro rider on a 600 will most likely outhandle and race a pro rider on a 1000 as well. depeneds on which bike blah blah blah.

thats what our logic was. an old r1 was so heavy so you might not be able to enter corners as fast. i rode my friends newer r1 and it was amazing how light it was.

buy a 600. because youll never be able to ride either at their full potential anyways…but interesting Q…im sure someones tested it before (same rider on numerous bikes)

god where is RX3 when you need him… Maybe he actually has a life now…

well 600 would be lighter… (faster braking, IDK about faster accel), usuable power(i’m sure both bike will lift at 100mph or less when hammered on… Much more nimble…

I would say on something like Daytona the 1000cc would come out on top… but on something something smaller… the 600 would just kill it in the turns

i disagree. and new 600s and 1000s weigh the same.

WILL!!

600 more nimble?

idk :gotme: i imagine nimbleness would have a lot to do with weight. im just waiting for Will to answer, i trust him

I think i would trust the black dude in this one

Ya. I am buying a 2005ish 600cc next year. 1000 is too much power for me to ride daily. I dont like hte fact that a jump in RPMs can lift the front wheel off the ground.

Weight isnt a issue anymore. A new R6 and R1 only have about a 30-40lb difference wet which would be even closer since the R1 has a bigger gas tank.

? im pretty sure theyre all around 370-380lbs…

tire size through turns as well.

like 415+ wet on a 1000.

i just wouldnt ride in the rain then. huge advantage

im joking.

new 1000s arnt as nimble as 600s, the difference would be course layout. tight turns = 600 win, sweepers and straights = 1000 win.

A PRO ON BOTH BIKES WOULD GO TO THE 1000 cc.

But it could go either way dependent on the track… A tiny track like cayuga or jennings would have no purpose of a 1000… you’d be worried about wheel spin, the 1000 is less nimble/agile, and you cant even get out of 4th on these tiny tracks…

However a track like midohio or mosport with a huge straight, the advantage would easily go to a 1000.

Bottom line, a 600 requires a lot more work to make it go fast. LOTS MORE SHIFTING, lots of revving… compare 250cc GP bikes to 125, then compare to motogp bikes, the lines that they take are completely different.

I dont like having to shift so much on the street, but on the track it was much more fun on a 600…

I was getting RAPED by some SV650’s at midohio by the way. RAPED.