110mpg................in 1980??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1980-Mercury-Capri-Moody-Shetley-Prototype-1-of-10_W0QQitemZ170163765466QQihZ007QQcategoryZ5366QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#mainImage

Discuss

a diesel fox??? quite interesting didnt even know these things existed (the diesel Capri, that is)
EDIT: id be interested to find out if this is ANYTHING similar to the diesel that was avalable on the Lincoln Mark VII (it was a BMW diesel if i remember correctly)

110mpg…maybe doing 30mph…

a honda elite was doing this too… so were gopeds lol

thats very intriguing, amazing, and numbingly confusing at the same time.
Read the entire description. I believe the guy. Stellar find. I dont know about 110mpg but I sure it will do 50mpg and thats fantastic by todays standards. The stupid Prius doesnt even get that much (real world tests).

We should all build fucking turbo diesel dailys

Not too certain how they figure they could get 110mpg out of it, but I’m sure it still gets great mileage.

A majority of the european cars have diesel options. They embrace diesel over there. The US market has seemed to thumb their nose at diesels except for recently.

anyone think the 110 is legit?
I dont care if it is at 30mph its damn impressive

The car is ugly, lacks safety features but if I could get by on $6’s worth of gas a week I would run it

If the claims are true all US politicians should hang their heads in shame instead of laughing all the way to the bank

I doubt 110 is legit. The Mk.IV Jetta TDI’s have a 1.9L engine, and see an average of 50mpg mixed driving. This is from experience as my parents own one.

That car is listed as a 2.4L which would require more fuel. Perhaps the car weighs next to nothing though and they figured 110mpg on a completely steady low speed?

4700 miles? what did it go through like a tank of gas every 5 years?

Really seems wierd that the buy it now is so low for a low production special build like this. Even if it is a Capri

I bet the car is probably allot lighter than most modern turbo - diesel cars. Also, did anyone else notice the two battery setup?

dot

this is not how the world works unfortunately, and the claims ARE true.

this is america, the land of opportunity(profit) not of sensibility

Interesting. How do you know that they are true?

you will not get an average of 50mpg in an MKIV TDI

You will get low to mid 40s

The guy I sold my CRX SI to is getting ~43 to 45 mpg on a stock DX motor in there. I should have kept that fucker.

Because he wants it to be true. It helps with his conspiracy theories.

Could we build a 100mpg car today? Of course.

Would it have power windows, power locks, cruise, AC, ABS, air bags, ride quietly at 80mph, accellerate to that speed at a reasonable rate, excell in our crash tests while providing comfortable room for 4 people and some luggage? Hell no. And these are all things people expect of even basic transportation now.

Can companies are not going to build a 100mpg car that not enough people will buy to make it profitable, nor should they. As responsible companies who many people depend on they build cars people will buy and that they can sell for a profit.

Working on it…