11s or Bust -- Stippy17's 00' TA

3.42s

where is the car shifting at? where did horsepower peak? where did torque peak? where did HP start to drop off drastically? where did torque level off?

Here is my dyno sheet…alot of your questions can be answered looking at it.

http://www.pittspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7246

Car is shifting 1-2 around 6100…shift 2-3 is around 62-6300…and shift 3-4 is around 65-6600.

so yorue crossign the traps around 5000 rpms? thats alot lower then your peak power is. A gear swap to 410s would put you around 6k rpms thru the traps which is alot closer to your peak power then prior. This will pick up mph and et, it will also help with your shift extensions.

what is up with the aborted pull? is that how lean the car was prior to any tune? if that is the case how long was it this lean for? have you done a compression check, that is seriously lean and if it was ran that lean for any amount of time under wot if could of possibly hurt the motor which could be why the mph of the combo is so low for the mods [this being worse case senerio] compression check is about 20 minutes worth of piece of mind

14.5 is abit lean for wot. Definately going to create some HOT chamber temps. Dont think it would have hurt the rings or valves since the car is making decent power…its just not running like the numbers indicate. Maybe that car is alot heavier than I would guess. 400whp should trap a good bit higher than that. 3.42’s may not be optimal but its a daily driver and those are great DD gears.

dont know exactly how lean the afr went, that run was aborted. that afr wot at max rpm could of been in the 15s for all we know. remember afr changes with air temp, and that combo has been together for awhile now and ran untuned. Id expect that combo to produce 420 rwhp on dynojet, now unless something is holding the power back like cat back or headers.

with having 342s and the converter locking it will deffently hurt the mph and et since his rpms are way below peak, so in this case unlocked will result in best results for the owner. a swap to a shorter tire will help for track, something along likes of a 25" will help with afew rpms but car is deffently down on power IMHO. Sliverws6 with a 224/224 566/566 cam did 385 rwhp with 323s thru a 3600 stall with stock 00 heads. His best ET was 11.8@112 Vettedoctors did that tune back around 04

Sliverws6 with a 224/224 566/566 cam did 385 rwhp with 323s thru a 3600 stall with stock 00 heads. His best ET was 11.8@112 Vettedoctors did that tune back around 04

That still seems abit low for the power. Maybe these cars just dont run as hard as the numbers look? I would think even near 3600lbs it would trap 115-116. Just curious, i was at 3450 with same stall speed, same gearing, same trans, almost identical power curve, and went 11.4 at 119. Are these cars much heavier than 3600 with a driver? I’ve seen alot of weights posted in the 3500 lbs area

I think mexican with 365whp or so untuned went 12’s at 114mph.

mexcian only went 12s with his 383 Ls1 at first then went 11s after a retune, he went 14s with his Ls1, and not sure if he ever got a clean pass when he a cam in the car

Trans ams are much heavier then camaros, a Ws6 is pretty heavy, 4th gens are heavier then 3rd gens a good bit [more saftey features and wiring with luxurys] 11.8@112 with 385 rwhp is moving well for a LS1

talin went 12.5@109 with 333 rwhp full weight with a high 1.8/low 1.9 60’

im sure once all the bugs are worked out in driver/car/track it should run its times.

mexcian only went 12s with his 383 Ls1 at first then went 11s after a retune, he went 14s with his Ls1, and not sure if he ever got a clean pass when he a cam in the car

Naw, i’m pretty sure I seen one of his passes with that torquer cam, but maybe I am mistaken. Maybe it was adams car… I dont know.
i just dont understand how after the tune the car picks up 60whp and doesnt gain much more over the previous outing untuned. Crazy. But then again I guess there was no old tune complete pull on the dyno?? Just that aborted run? Chances are that air fuel was lean in the peak torque area but fattened up by the time peak rpm came around. I guess it didnt pick up that much power afterall?

I see 330whp bolt on cars doing 110+ in M6 cars… i figure 385+ would be well over 115. Maybe my turd 8.8’s at 83 wasnt so bad after all with stock converter and 2.73 gear? Not much better than stock but i have headers/catback/lid/ls6 intake… interesting

Im not exactly sure what rpms Im sitting at at the traps. Ill keep in mind to look next time I run. Id like to keep the 3.42s since its first used as a DD…second as a drag car. Yes the first run was aborted cuz the car was running too lean for his liking. Youd have to ask Laura how long it had been like that…but I know I had ran it at wot a good many times before I had it tuned. Whether it hurt the motor or not Im not sure.

It has Pacesetter Headers, Texas Speed Y Pipe, and a Corsa Catback. I dont think that his holding back any power. I was having problems with the muffler for awhile. I think one or two of the baffles had fallen over and were rattling around especially on cold starts it was the loudest. I beat the side of the muffler, and it has since gone away. But Im not sure if thats holding power back. The exhaust seems to flow fine out of the tips so I dont think anything is restricting the flow.

I think and hope so too. I think experience is the big thing Im lacking here…especially track time.

Im not exactly sure what rpms Im sitting at at the traps. Ill keep in mind to look next time I run. Id like to keep the 3.42s since its first used as a DD…second as a drag car. Yes the first run was aborted cuz the car was running too lean for his liking. Youd have to ask Laura how long it had been like that…but I know I had ran it at wot a good many times before I had it tuned. Whether it hurt the motor or not Im not sure.

It has Pacesetter Headers, Texas Speed Y Pipe, and a Corsa Catback. I dont think that his holding back any power. I was having problems with the muffler for awhile. I think one or two of the baffles had fallen over and were rattling around especially on cold starts it was the loudest. I beat the side of the muffler, and it has since gone away. But Im not sure if thats holding power back. The exhaust seems to flow fine out of the tips so I dont think anything is restricting the flow.

I think and hope so too. I think experience is the big thing Im lacking here…especially track time.

Get a cut out and see if that helps :slight_smile:

Hmm dont tempt me…its already something I wanna do in the future. :slight_smile:

looks like this DD may become the race car

Sadly every car I ever own will never get great gas mileage…

383 went 11.9s before retune, then went 11.7s after that quick tune quik put in it when we did the 4l80 swap. when i had the cam only set up, with a start up tune from sam, and no suspension the car did 12.2s and dyno’d 360 hp and ran lean at 14.1

a good set of headers and Y pipe are worth alot. Theres improvement there in those items but it works for now. with a baffle being loose in the muffler that might be causing a restriction.

if you would log the car you would be able to see if the intake setup or exhaust is a restriction by reading kpa. the lower the number the more restriction there is and this will hold back performance

as for times yes thats with seat time, however mph indicates the power of the vehicle which is were justin and i are looking at

get a spohn torque arm mounted to the undercarrage not the tranny and take your front sway bar off. bigest difference i felt over any other mod on that car.

With a 2000 ws6 suspension work was : v6 rear springs, 5050 rear shocks, spohn torque arm, battery relocation, no sway bar, et drag radials

engine work : 4000 stall, 3:23 gears, 224/224 cam, headers , ls6 intake

I had consistent 1.57 and 1.59 60 foot and a 11.89 time slip no weight reduction

Today I bought 8 new NGK TR-55s for the bird’. Summit had them listed for $2.69, yet Advance had them for $1.99. With my discount they came to $1.71/piece so I couldnt beat that. Also picked up 2 Qts of Royal Purple 75w90 Gear Oil for the rearend. Probably do that shit sometime this week after work.

I understand what your saying.

A torque arm will be in the future for sure. Definitely a Crossmember mounted Torque Arm, which I have on my 86’ with a TH400. Most likely a UMI one tho. I have a full UMI Suspension on the turdgen I have. I thought about taking the front sway bar out the next time I run. Supposed to be better 60ft times, and a slight bit of weight off the front end.

You should be trapping MUCH higher IMHO.

I have the same gears, same power level and i’ve trapped as high as 121 before. I run stock torque arm, stock shocks, stock rear springs with DMS lowering springs in the front, heavy ass boyd wheels up front with stock 16’s wrapped in MT ET Radials and I pull mid 1.6x sixties and i’m deep into the 11’s with consistent traps around 118-120.
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/5253/jmgdyno3.jpg

EDIT: I also shift much higher, around 6900 IIRC though i’ll have to check my tune since I tweaked them a little since I started getting more slip and tagged the limiter a few times. My trans is on it’s way out but I don’t race enough to see spending the $ on it.