150cc Moped/Scooter or Ninja 250R?

I’m thinkin of pickin one up maybe next summer as a go-to-work toy. Drove a buddies Suzuki (I think) Moped this summer and it was quite fun actually even though you do look a little silly on it. I’m fine with that, I’ll just get a helmet with a dark visor lol.

I don’t necessarily want a crotch rocket because I’ll do something stupid and for now, I’d rather not put my mother through the stress (her dad/my gramps had a very graphic motorcycle accident back in Ukraine when she was a teen and if I got a real bike, she’d quite possibly have a stroke/HA [she has major heart issues and is a worry wart]).

I’m thinkin bout somethin like this (I’d definitely get rid of the storage on the back, looks goofy):

http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-Gas-Motor-Scooter-For-Sale-p-701.html

https://www.scooterdepot.us/files/prodimages/b_detail/mc_n12a02.jpg
https://www.scooterdepot.us/files/prodimages/b_detail/mc_n12a01.jpg

60mph, 60-80mpg, and pretty sweet looking if you ask me.

Or a Ninja 250R (they look sweet and aren’t capable of doing 160+ - because knowing myself, I’d test the limit). They run about $3k for the newer body style lightly used.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/k5cub/Kawi%20250R/0816091046a.jpg

Obviously the moped is cheaper.

I ripped around on a 250R for a summer. Def would recommend it, it was a great starter bike for me. I have since moved up but it was a lot of fun. Handling is out of this world, you will have much more top speed than the moped obviously. It is easy to maneuver at low speeds because of its size/weight.

Also, in terms of MPG I avg’d around 60 on the 250R. I wouldn’t even consider the moped over the Ninja.

A pic:

Ninja or the new Honda 250.

You won’t regret it. Cheap insurance, inexpensive bike, amazing mileage.

Well, the issue with me getting a bike of any kind is my moms stigma of it being fast. Yes I am 23 and yes I make all of my own decisions, but her health is a priority in my family and anything that will add unneeded stress to her already half-functioning heart is usually a bad idea (she’s got a defib. and a pace maker - I think one of her valves is pretty much useless).

Obviously, the top speed of the 250 is like 110 at most (with a light weight rider - I’m 195 so it’ll probably not even get to 100 with my ass on it) and it’s not exactly fast in terms of getting up there, but I guess I’ll have to give this some more thought and decide which route I want to go.

I’m getting this more for going to work on nice summer days as I work 7 miles away. So, 14 miles round trip. The other reason, going hand in hand with going to work, is gas mileage. I do about $50/wk in gas for the M…I’d love to get something like a moped/scooter or small bike and do only $10/week or less. If I get a bike, I’ll obviously be spending a lot more time on it just cruising around. And if I get a bike, I am not getting one until I do the HVCC education courses.

Just remember regardless of scooter or motorcycle you need your license for anything over 49cc

Yep, I’m planning on going to the HVCC classes just to cover the basics since I’ve only ridden one scooter and no bike in my life.

Yea the course seems like its worth taking. I would stick with the ninja 250 just because it would be more fun to ride

And probably look more BA than a moped…:rofl

Lmao yea it would look better then a moped haha

I have a 300 pound uncle who rides a purple moped, unless you want to be lumped into the same category as him I suggest buying the ninja.

Don’t forget to contract aids before purchasing either :lol

:rofl

I’m not looking to do wheelies, race cars, etc.

I’m just looking for a decent cruiser and frankly, a 600CC is overkill for me personally. I’m a decently built guy, so I hope I don’t look goofy on either. I’m 5’11" and 195.

I would need a ZX-14, CBR 1300RR or a fucking Harley to look remotely normal on a bike :rofl

:rofl

You will never get bored riding that 250 in the twisties. Ever. They’re such an awesome bike and they get such good mileage. Definitely get the ninja.

get a honda ruckus

Too old school looking for me. I want the sport bike look (my favorite looking bike is the R6). Hence why I picked that scooter to consider. It has a ‘modern’ look to it and isn’t all square, etc.

I’ve been reading about the 250R and watching videos the last 3hrs lol. Leaning towards it.

ahh okay, well whats the price difference between the scooter and the ninja? It sounds to me like you really want a motorcycle but don’t want one for your mothers heath. just don’t tell her ahah

I do want a bike hah. They have always fascinated me. In a perfect world, I’d have an R6.

The scooter is going to run like $1,100 or so brand new. 250R is about $4k after all is said and done.

Money isn’t really an issue, it has more to do with my mom. And I can’t not tell her, the thing will be at home because I’ll be taking it to work mostly lol. I’ll have to probably talk to pops first, explain to him that it’s only a 250cc and I won’t be able to do 180 on it, etc. and see if he can back me up :rofl.

Find out whether or not it’d be a bigger shock for her to see you gay, or riding a motorcycle.

Then make the decision. :lol

http://www.gtavision.com/images/content/sa_cars/462_Faggio.jpg