Scooter Questions.... [flame suited]

Im starting to look into buying a scooter [I know…]. Particularly looking at Yamahas and Aprilia [SR50 R] Anyone on here familiar with them, or scooters in general? What are the laws concerning scooters? Same as motorcycles? I hear in some states it varies on engine size.

I know Im going to get flamed on this, but I think these look fun. Im not looking to go fast or anything.

… but maybe ill just get a Ninja 250…

get the ninja, for someone your size that will feel like a 600 to a normal sized male :stuck_out_tongue:

he just said your not normally sized :kekegay:

a scooter are u kidding me…that thing will fit u like a thong

waste

Yeah just get one of the new 250 Ninja’s if you are a small build. They updated the looks to them so they look a lot better than what they did.

plus, the true motorcycles have real sized wheels. don’t know how I would trust a 9" wheel on a scooter with some of the potholes and man hole covers around here.

if it’s under 50cc you don’t need a license to ride on the road. You also probably won’t go much above 60 or 65 mph so depending on the road, you might have to plan trips accordingly.

I generally agree that scooters are a waste, especially under 50cc. just get a real bike.

check craigslist and buy somthin cheap if u get a scooter…the novelty will probly wear off of it but if you spend under 1k you can probly sell it again for what u paid for it…I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one to beat the shit out of.

50 cc going 60mph? Try again… 35mph tops. Go for a 150cc. You need a motorcycle permit to drive anything larger than 50cc.

All sizes need insurance in PA - about $50/year.

I have a 150cc Roketa Bali that tops out around 65mph… 50cc scoots are for the beach where there aren’t ANY hills - maybe the city.

I have had a ton of fun on mine, twice as much as my ZX6. Its a whole different type of ride. I haven’t had any problems w / the small wheels and potholes.

i have an 84 honda aero 125 thats just sort of been sitting… i believe it needs carb work however. i used to hit about 55-60 on a 1/4mile(ish) strip of parking lot. i got it when i was like 14 just ride around my neighborhood and get some experience. definitely hasnt been inspected since '84-'85(although i think it has less than 500 total miles on it). i dont know if i have the title either. not sure what to do about that. but yeah, i have scooter that im willing to sell to someone to at least dick around on.

just buy a wr250r or a wr250x from your local yamaha dealer. That way you can have a street legal bike that gets 70+mpg and can go off road also. :smiley:

they are nice whats the cost range on them

$5899 for the “R” which is more of a dirt bike and $5999 for the “X” which is a supermoto looking bike.

I have 50cc honda ruckus and i love it for cruising around the city, it will do 37 on flat ground and 40 down hill. going up hills its a different story all together. so if you just looking to putt around town on they are sweet, but if you want to go fast or on highways get something different. Oh and it gets 80-90 mpg

Or, he called himself FAT…

Im looking at the Aprilia SR50 R Factory, E-Ton Beemer 4, Kymco Agility 125, and Yamaha Zuma 125.

Ive read some bad stuff about the Roketa’s and have heard they depreciate ridiculously.

People on the Aprilia forums are saying that derestricting the RS50R is simple and lets it go about 60mph+ on flat land.

Im leaning towards the Aprilia, because of the direct EFI, transponder, rear disc, and I am assuming the Aprilia name will help its resale better than the E-Ton and Kymco. I also think the SR 50 R looks awesome.

The Ninja is out, insurance alone costs almost as much as the bike. [I am assuming most banks require full coverage].

Im looking to mainly use this to get to work about 4 miles in Monroeville. I will probably also use it in the fall around the city [I live in Oakland]. Im sure occassionally Ill go between Oakland and Monroeville, but i don’t that will be horrible to do avoiding 376.

Nick the Aprilia is a good choice. Mike Kojima has been working on a project SR50R for a magazine and it does 63mph now.

http://www.sr20forum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SR_left.jpg

WOW… anything good enough for Mike Kojima is good enough for me.

On the Aprilia forum someone has a 20hp race setup. Im just looking for a little fun and economic transportation- I feel safer on 4 wheels…

Unless i have a bad experience at Mosites, or someone can give me a good reason not to, Ill be buying one very soon.

Just what I need… another project.

How much is that Aprilia? It seems like it would be $$$.

eh, for a 50cc scooter, its expensive- MSRP is around 3k, only 500 less than a Ninja 250.

I bought it. 2009 SR50 R Factory.