190 fatality, GI Tow truck operator (4/2/08)

Anyone know the guy? Kevin Coffta, 28 and from Clarence Center, working for a GI towing company.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=56812
http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/313536.html

A tow truck driver struck while doing his job is dead. New York State Police say he was the victim of an alleged drunk driving accident early Wednesday morning on the Niagara section of the Thruway.

It happened shortly before 5 A.M. on the I-190 south in the Town of Tonawanda, just south of the I-290 interchange.

Police say the tow truck driver was removing an abandoned car from the right shoulder of the road when he was hit by a car. That car then went airborne, rolling over twice, coming to rest on its roof.

The tow truck operator, Kevin Coffta, 28, of Grand Island, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the car, David Brown, 64, of Cheektowaga, is charged with vehicular manslaughter and DWI.

The southbound lanes of the I-190 in that area are now reopen after being shut down for nearly 5 hours while the accident scene was being cleaned up.

:tdown: Damn drunk drivers.

Yea my office is right by here. Had to detour around it this morning at 7:30AM

The driver of the car, David Brown, 64, of Cheektowaga, is charged with vehicular manslaughter and DWI

Which total will be less than 6 yrs in jail.

:tdown: that blows, he was just doing his job.

and WTF are you doing driving drunk at 5AM as a 64 year old?!??!

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this.

wow thats bad he was young…

typical story tho. drunk drive is fine, innocent bystander is killed.

still say driving drunk should be considered attempted murder, and if you kill someone while driving drunk it should be premedatated murder.

never thought about it like that… sad god bless his family.

wow this sucks. The old mans shitty life was probably already over, but he had to take someone else down with him… :tdown:

the sad thing is the number of retired alcoholics that are driving around during the day as well.

sorry for the family of both in this case.

Wow that sucks. I heard there was a fatality on the 190 today. Terrible that is happened to an innocent bystander.

how the fuck is that premeditated murder?

i know what he is getting at, but it definitely isn’t right.

though i think a DWI + manslaughter should carry a much higher weight.

Holy Fuck I just taked to him a week ago or so at Marty’s. He was an alright guy damn.
RIP

+1. He’s thinking going out drinking then driving is the same as buying a gun and then killing someone. The huge legal difference is INTENT.

I would like to see them take the depraved indifference angle to pursue more DWI fatalities as murder II though. If you’re way over the limit that constitutes depraved indifference in my book. It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve done it.

http://leftword.blogdig.net/archives/articles/October2006/18/DWI_death_successfully_prosecuted_as_murder_in_NY.html

But even if this guy was way over the limit Frank Clark is a useless pig and will do nothing more than plea it out.

Seriously fuck drunk drivers.

:tdown:

I fucking hate drunk drivers

i second the motion. a friend of mine was hit by an off-duty cheektowaga cop when she was 16. he was on his way home from the Bills game hammered with a six pack open in the car with him and hit her head on. the cops that arrived at the scene didn’t do a damn thing, didn’t write anything in the report and never arrested him for DWI… Thats Bullsh!t