1974 Honda CB750 *Cafe* Build

Well… I though I’d start a build thread.

End of May I bought the CB750 and have been doing little this/that to it. I understand the electrical and mechanics of the bike now. Looking forward, Everything I do to this bike to reach “cafe” status will be trial and error. Here is what has gone on so far…

Here is what I’m starting with…

First things first… Take apart the triple tree.

Clean triple tree and try to clean up the pitted chrome. I’ll probably be upgrading the fork next season, but until then, just rocking it out.

Tank and emblem need TLC

Painted folk components…

Stripped and rebuild hand controls. Repacked w/ grease.

Stripped for new throttle cables.

Assembly:

Finished Product:

Next step??

I think the gauged either need to be smaller… Maybe go to only MPH.
Or just have a small MPH mounted into the headlight bucket.

Hopefully sooner than later I can thing about getting a new seat made, via Nick, and getting new side markers + taillight.

:tup:

We need to have a race to see who finishes our projects first lol.

neat! :tup:

Tup. Nice work

King has the same bike (or very close to it) that he was working on all winter and a bit this summer. It’s all flat-black with some modern lights, bars thrown in. Doesn’t run just yet though.

Doesn’t Newman have a green one too?

isnt it amazing how much a set of bars totally changes the dynamic of a bike? Looking good! glad the bars worked out for you. Don’t race Chris to finish first haha, his bike will be at my house for a while for frame mods…

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

newman has the same bike as me thats green…cb550

I think Ecoshardcore has an orange cb500 which is the same bike just earlier before they bumped up displacement.

-I didnt know king had a cb750, SWEET

Stock guage clusters on our bikes look SO huge with lower bars lol.

Lol… I have to do something with those gauges… I’ve thought out a strategy to lower them and shave the stock triple tree flush… Nick, I need to get over to your place for the rear seat project. I have a lead on a stock seat pan, but want to check m&m next weekend. Hopefully that will clean it up a bit more…

I will never think of it as a race… Unless you want to run my bike. Its pretty quick.

Some thing to note… If you notice in my last photo, my right hand control is cut in half. I rewired the headlight bucket for the kill/run, start, and on/off for the headlight. Then packed the switches with grease. I had an after market throttle but the cables I bought didn’t play nice with after market throttles…

Also I went with shortened ss brake lines for the front end.

More to come daily :slight_smile:

those bars look uncomfy as hell. lol.

Gus, you can look up “mini-gauges” online for these…lucky you (cb550’s have a super weird tach ratio and I can’t use them)…I beleive MikesXS650.com has a SUPER nice mini speedo for CHEAP. he has the matching tach, but XS650’s are a 5:1 ratio while the CB750 is 4:1 ratio. you can either buy the gauge from him and get a 5:1 to 4:1 adaptor online(someone did this on sohc4.net) or you can source the matching tach elsewhere with the 4:1 ratio, but it wont be as cheap as mikesXS650 for whatever reason

about the seat, shoot me a text late next week and we can start planning a seat project.

I think I’m going to shave the stock triple tree flat, and drop the gauges. I’ve got a plan…

riding position is not that bad… I find myself putting y the bike in neutral at lights and sitting up straight more but have quicker response out of the bike.

Rear sets are in my mind now…

RIP 09/23/2011

Haven’t opened her up to see how much loose change is floating around in there.

Wait, what happened?

yeah, we need details! Don’t give up on it until you know exactly what it needs…