1975 Honda CB550 cafe bike build!

Thread back from the DEAD! I decided to tear back into this thing and make some more changes/updating. I snagged a great deal on a '78 CB750 Super Sport dual disc front end and a few other misc parts.

-Clip on handlebars
-headlight ears
-newer dual-disc compatible brake master cylinder
-carb rebuild kits
-Headlight brow
-build new exhaust from scratch

Going to also re-position the rear-sets because after putting some miles on this thing I found the riding position left some more to be desired, so I am going to move them higher up the frame rail to get my knees centered in the tank.

tore down the front end:

new front end parts

forks in

bars on

headlight on

now that its together, I think my initial thought that the bars would be best above the trees was the wrong idea for the stance…I think I need to pull it back apart and get the clip-ons below the top tree to get the front view to look proper.

meh… i think it looks great as is… ride it, then lower em, see if its tolerable

(Im sure itd look hotter with low bars, but it might be hell to ride… then what good is it?)

the front end swap has been “interesting”. I only had the 750 SuperSport forks/calipers/lines, so I used the stock 550 wheel and two 550 rotors. I broke the speedo drive trying to modify it to fit the dual discs so now I’ll need to get an electronic speedo, and then the caliper brackets rub the rotor when installed on the forks. I had to use a file to add clearance in the notches for the rotors on the mounting brackets, and then use washers to center them over the rotor. It was a pretty long process of checking clearance, filing, checking clearance, filing, etc… over and over until no rubbing. I rebuild my carbs last night, and hope to have the bike running and tuned up after work today. just have to re-mount the controls, finish welding the new mounting tabs for the rearsets, and bleed the front brake system. I’d like to get a few miles on it and then tackle my exhaust project.

def no fender.

Aesthetically, no fender for sure, but if youre going to ride this thing, do yourself a favor and put a fender on it… youre eyes, hands, face, pants, and shirts will thank you… (stones and rain suckkkkkk)

yeah, the 750 forks have different fender mounts…I’m going to probably modify the fender I had on there to fit the 750 forks, I hate not having a fender haha. I bobbed the stock one down and its just enough to keep stuff from hitting me…it just loads the front of the motor and the head pipes with dirt all the time.

no rear fender!

Where did you get the clip ons?
I want to get/make some for my 75kz400.

I got them on partsnmore.com , they were heinously cheap…I think $45 at the time.

I just came in from a few hours of wrenching. Carbs are back together and installed, the rearsets are finished and mounted, headlight and signals mounted, levers mounted. tomorrrow I have to toss in the battery, 4 new plugs, gas, and see what she says. If it runs well I just need to finish up running the front brake lines and wiring up the brakelight switch and she’s ridable.

In about a month I’ll be starting the GS project back up…hopefully will have it done by the end of summer. I think I’m going to go the cafe route…

its REALLY alot of fun man, I actually sold the rocket I bought last summer because I just have more fun on this thing and couldnt care less about going fast.

Few pics of the peg mounts I made

got the bike totally together this afternoon and had a quick run around the block. Seems to be running very well now albeit on the rich side. got it back in the driveway and went to tuck some wires away and popped a fuse and it shut down lol. Guess I better invest in some spare glass tube fuses.

replaced the fuse wednesday after work, modded the stock fender to fit the 750 forks, and put about 20 more miles on it that night haha. (pics pre-fender)

ILISM

I think I want to lower the front possibly another inch or so, paint the wheels black, and run the exhaust all to the kickstart side of the bike with twin shorty megaphone cans swept at an upward angle a bit right after the foot peg. other than that, I would love to hide the electrics under the seat cowl over winter and delete the sidecovers for that bare-bones look.

So I threw together my exhaust ideas in photoshop, but I can’t decide what I think would look better…a 4-1 down the right hand side with single canister, or 4-2 down the right side with twin cans…

opinions???

4-2 would certainly look MUCH better :tup:

I may request your metal working abilities come this summer for the GS, I like how that tail turned out a lot!

I am def. leaning toward the 4-2…cost is the factor at the moment, those cans are $85 a peice…

def. let me know if you want a hand on the GS, I love building bikes haha. I have three 70’s/80’s era bikes in my garage as we speak for similar work haha. Actually, one of them is an 80-something GS550L getting the cafe treatment…but his motor is locked up so first order of business is free-ing it up and seeing if I can get compression and get it running.

you should make it totally custom and have the pipes dump out on both sides, 2 on side, 2 on the other. Not to mufflers but to shapped cuts, that would look nice!

like what this guy did but his tips sucked bad!!!

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23515