1977 Mini Vtec Swap

30R

/Thread

Nice project man!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! My engine is very low-mileage, so I’ll just get it running and see how it goes. I’ve never driven such a tiny car, or a powerful front-wheel-drive before so it might be super squirrely with just a stock motor.

I love turbos, but I had to lengthen the nose 4" just to make the engine fit! the turbo would have to be sticking through the grille, and an intercooler is out of the question.

I have a bunch of other projects, so this one will be on hold till this winder probably. Just when you’ve forgotten about it I’ll start posting progress pics.

I bought a nice aluminum radiator Mishimoto brand from Synapse Motorsports in Schenectady. Great shop over there and nice guys too.

Run a nice water/air IC setup if you cant fit/plumb a fmic in the front. I am going to run one in my sleeper Jetta build too.

It whould be a blast to drive NA, but a small turbo build will have that nice feeling while ripping a Vette a new one on the highway!

Very cool project!

i would never actually turbo this, unless it was just to say you can, i think it would be a lot more fun to drive as it is now then w a turbo strapped on.

I’ll be looking to ditch that dorky Civic steering wheel ASAP. Anyone have a better looking one for me?

I also need the plastic steering column surrounds and a wiring harness that plugs into the Honda column so I can wire my own relays for wipers, signals etc. I might need a factory wiring diagram too :banghead

ohhh I gotta stop thinking about all the work ahead of me. One thing at a time right? haha

+1 +rep

looks sooooooo fun.

Have you ever seen a black '01 covertible with CCW classics lurking in the albany/latham area? It’s my dad’s: 422inch pro-charged intercooled motor making 650+hp at the wheels (dyno proven). I did a lot of the installation work on it. all you notice is the wheels, boost gauge and the whine from under the hood! :lol

He actually just sold it a few weeks ago… got a '58 corvette in the works with a C5 corvette chassis & drivetrain. Another supercharged LS motor too.

Awesome project!

I wouldn’t bother w upgraded ignition wires etc, intake or larger tb. Stock honda ignitions have zero problems and can handle 400hp+ no problem either. If I were u I would start w the head/cams and spin it a little higher. Of course a good retune after that. Have fun!

Always wanted to do this to a mini. They actually make a complete front subframe to mount the GSR motor into these.

http://superfastminis.com/kits.htm

+1 on RHD!

Yeah I’d only do a turbo if I upgraded to the superfastminis All-Wheel_drive kit. That’s crazy! it uses all Honda drivetrain parts to mount a 4wd trans and a rear differential from a CR-V. Then you could use a 400hp turbo-charged monster and still have a chance at getting traction.

No money for that though. :frowning:

Hey Brett it’s Paul! Sean was tellin me about this earlier in the summer haha…funny seein ya on here, and great to see pics of this! Pretty killer…

Hey Paul!

Here are some engine/ front-end pics. The fiberglass tilt front end is from superfastminis.com They make some nice parts for these cars. Flares are from them too.

The engine is just in place for mock-up purposes. I’ll bead blast the valve coer & paint it, steam blast the engine and do the finall assembly soon. since I’m building a custom harness for the engine, I think I’ll do a wire tuck too.

This is a B16A from a JDM Civic SiR… correct me if I’m wrong

sweet ride

kick ass! lovin those wheels!

Looks sick dude… I can blast and fully polish that valve cover for you! PM me if your interested. Check out my metal polishing 101 stickie’d under the Pictures and Detailing section for some of my work. :beer

Hell yeah, PM sent. I’m interested in having the lips on some BBS rims done too. They’re 1-piece BMW basket-weaves though, so I’m not sure how the polishing would workout with painted centers. I just blasted them & was planning to just paint the whole wheel.

awesome project… I would love to have this

trade him the Supra for it