1987 supra info

not sure if you said this already, but are you looking for a daily driver or a project car? I wouldn’t suggest a smokey 20+ year old supra as a daily (even with a v8 swap). Go 1.8t

yea looking for a daily but a quick one you know i have right now a 01 eclipse gt im selling for 5000 someone should be coming with the cash in couple days i just want something quick and nice and has a turbo already…

Head gasket was blown on my '91 n/a when I got it… it’s big with them too.

As far as wanting a 1.8T I bought mine with 55k, and I put alot of miles on my cars - it’s up to 85k and I’ve had it three years.
They need timing belt changes, and thats the one big item that you’re probably going to have to take care of.
You can get a kit with everything you need for about $250.
Coil packs like to die on them too, so make sure you check them out and they are okay.
As long as no one tried to chip it with the stock turbo or something along those lines, the turbo should be just fine, even with 100k+ miles…

ok thanks so if i get one just do the timming belt and coils

Unless they have proof the timing belt was changed, then I would absolutely do it.
It’s worth the money to change it, rather than spend 3x’s that to fix everything when it breaks.
Coils might not be bad, just gotta check them. Those are about $100 - $150 a piece so you want to make sure.

well i just got off the phone with the guy with the eclipse gst i got him down to 1500 cash for the car i really want to know if it is worth it and if anyone can come up to look at it with me becasue i want a daliy driver but i want a car i can work on to …l

<— At work. :sad

If you’re not too sure about what you’re looking at, maybe start a new thread or rename this one asking if anyone can help you and go look at a DSM. You really want to make sure the car has everything he claims it does. A friend of mine bought a car that was “built” and turns out almost everything was completely stock. Not to mention you want to make sure it’s not a basket case and a half.

Either way if you want a car you can just fiddle around and work on, but you’re kinda tight on cash, you might want to reconsider that 1.8T - VW are not the cheapest car to mod, and they’re definately not the cheapest to fix.

ok i wil lstart a new topic

I know… I’m slow…

I can see it’s headed for DSM land, but I just wanted to inform the OP about the engine configuration for the Supra anyways. V6 versus inline is kind of a slight difference there.

By the way, I think others may have alluded to this already, but if you are looking for a daily driver that doesn’t require a lot of care / maintenance, I wouldn’t recommend someone else’s modded DSM as a starting point… But that’s just me.

wel lits not moded at all no bov nothing no intake it s just a older guy who got robed when he brought it sent it in to get a new head the paint on the car is all faded but that dont matter and he just wanted a nice car so got the newer eclipse…

+1… dsm’s break more than fords. :lol

DSMs break more than anything. They are fun but I would definately have a beater/ back up car. You cant get serious about modding anything when you have to worry about it breaking. I would keep the clipse and save up for a project. The supra has tons of potential. Remember that in the northeast the body is the main concern. It can cost alot more to fix rot the right way then to rebuild/ replace a blown engine. If you have to rebuild it then why not start to mod it from the inside out :nod