1989 Toyota Supra Thread

I recently acquired an 89 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 speed for a new project. I decided to try something new. So I went ahead and grabbed it. Unfortunately, as soon as I began driving it, it developed a rod knock. So, this is my own little 7M-GTE build progress thread. Kicking off the thread now, and I will be adding more to it as I go along. I’ll begin by adding a picture of the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Cokedoctor/soup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Cokedoctor/soup2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Cokedoctor/soup3.jpg

I like your workarea :tup:

First thing I thought of when I opened this was “2TurboZ is keeping it?” :lol:

Nice pickup, what are zee plans?

Man, you and that whole killing engines things haha. Should be pretty sweet though. :tup:

why didnt you just buy kyle’s?

because this one ran and he got a SICK deal on it!

wow <3 your garage…thats what i need lol

+1 to sick garage…so much work room…i’m very jealous.

and :tup: to another 80’s import project…

i want your garage dammit. all i have now is a driveway and a stockpile of tools with no where to put them or use them

I guess if you call 2600 for one that develops rod knock the day you get it and has no targa top SICK…I guess he got a SICK deal.

Its cool…I have decided to keep mine for the time being. Its in the driveway and work will begin on it shortly.

You should stick to 1 project car and actually get it fixed. :tup:

When you finally throw in the towel on the neon, I’ll buy it :slight_smile:

sweet garage… im totally jealous

the other 2 conquests are out side still, you need to stop buying red cars

:lolsign:

Its a very slight knock only at mid rpms which sounds like its coming from the top end of the rear intake side. Took a stethescope (sp?) and couldnt hear anything from the bottom end. We pulled the cams and the journals were scored same with the cam caps. Justin drained the oil and couldnt find any metal bits.
Its not that bad at all, the car performs flawlessly but on the safe side we might as well pull the engine and inspect and replace anything worn out. (hoses, gaskets, seals, bearings, etc.) Going to clean up the engine bay and engine itself while its out as well.
If Justin orders all the parts by the end of this week or so it will be back together I would say in 3 weeks or so.

At this rate we will have to start a MK3 Supra Club :gay2: :lol:

Well it was a sick deal until he got it home… He didnt realize it had a knock until after he purchased it… Still a running straight bodied 5spd turbo supra for under $3000!

^and its a hardtop so you dont have to deal with the stupid targa leaking, rusting, squeaking, chassis flex and targa mk3s are 100lbs or so heavier.

Well since you put it like that :tup:

Haha, thanks to all for the compliments on the garage. It’s my dad’s garage, but he lets me use it. He told me, he installed the lift just for me, so I think that kinda makes the garage 1/2 mine? haha… Looking forward to this project.