1991 CRX SI (Lets try this Again)

Well after I got the whole damn thing together, running and just the way I liked with the new tune for 9.5 to 10 lbs of boost, the engine shit the bed. So after about a couple of hours of yelling, kicking and crying, I pulled myself together and decided, I have gotten this far, I am not going to quit and finish the CRX the way I have always wanted it to be.

Long story short, piston number 1 and 2 have either cracked or the rings went. There is a HUGE amount of oil blow by on the cylinders. When pulling the plugs cylinder 3 and 4 were perfect but there was a lot of oil on both 1 and 2 and you could tell the motor was only running on the two cylinders. The car would start up and there is still comperssion but very large amounts of oil coming out of were ever it can, mainly the air breather on top of the valve cover. The oil sprayed all over the engine bay and now the process of rebuilding this car begins.

What I am going to do based on the damage when I pull the head, is either keep the block and bore it if the walls are scuffed or if there is to much damage to the block it will be replaced with a new LS block or a GSR block. Once I have found out what the block needs to be, I will be going with ALL forged internals and bearings. While I am in there I will be replacing major compenents like the oil pump, water pump, etc etc.

Here are the pictures from day 1 tear down ( I hate hondas:banghead:)

Holy shit, that sucks. Did you cry tears?

I couldnt believe it but then I knew that its a 50/50 shot with stock internals with boost. FUCK!

oh boy here we go again… just stick to bikes.

I guess you can change your Location then!

^^^ that engine is being finished, this was the LS b18 that was already in the crx

Del Sol- b16 (all forged)
CRX- b18 (gonna be all forged)

i don’t really see the point in doing this…

How much would you sell the crx for with a blown motor? (You can keep your seats and those rims)

BTW, if you want my block you’re going to have to let me know SOON. a few people want it on h-t

or give me like a 25$ deposit lol

I heard about this that nite, damn sorry to hear

Day 2

Pulling out the turbo set up and radiator I found the problem or the end results. Next I will be pulling the head. Can you see the problem?:mamoru:

As far as why i am doing it, its fun and I like learning how things work and can be tweaked. I will let everyone know about the motors as soon as I see the full extent of the damage tomorrow.

no dip stick?

look at the oil blow by on cylinder 2. i think the head gasket went to i will find out tomorrow. the dipstick i took out for the picture

ure crazy man 2 turbo fwd turbo hondas, id rather have a boosted rwd honda :wink:

nmbvc xcdgtxkfhyv.lkfrhmtjnmch cg, v vfhj

^^ I just rolled my face across the keyboard and made more sense than you. :roflpicard:

Day 3:

Got the head off and like I was thinking the piston kind of melted and the wall on the intake side is scuffed. There is a very large amount of detenation on cylinder two which could be a faulty head. I am hoping to save the block with a bore and bigger pistons. Now I am looking for a b16 head so I can elimante this problem.

These were stock pistons that I am sure had plenty of wear on them but something else caused this amount of detenation. The head was rebuilt before so maybe the rebuild was not that good or it was just its time. Here are some pictures of the aftermath.

I am going to do the following:

Forged Rods and Pistons
New:
Timing belt
Timing belt tensiner
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Edlebrock Intake Manifold Victor X
650 injectors
Clevite Bearings
Etc etc