1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, Gen II JDM swap

Didn’t really want to do this, but I’ve got bills to pay and still no job. I’ll give the skinny and if anyone’s really interested, I’ll add more information, detailing everything.

-91 Turbo w/JDM Gen II swap (220hp vs USDM 200)
-Clean title
-5 speed tranny
-T tops
-Black exterior (orig white), blue interior I believe (it’s dark)
-Compression tested fine this semester at school, 170psi across the board iirc
-Dyno tested at New Era for 163whp/189ft-lbs
-14.99 @ 91mph at Leicester this summer my first and only time
-Oil changed twice since I got it in March, Mobil 1 synthetic oil and filter
-Tranny fluid changed Mobil 1 synthetic
-LF wheel bearing replaced
-down pipe of unknown manufacturer
-Coolant flushed (Car runs rich because I didn’t know at the time that someone put a 20* cooler t-stat in it)
-Original 14" rims, need new rubber still pass inspection
-15" BBS wheels with Kumho V710 rubber 205/f 225/r
-Stock theft deterrent with Valet 712T keyless entry wired myself
-Audio was ripped out when I got the car, installed Pioneer h/u and speakers, includes usb control and remote

Bunch of extras included: wheels, tires, intercooler, springs

I gotta sell the thing unfortunately, I love this car and it needs to go to someone who can keep it and love it like I do

$4000

Few pics, I’ve got more if anybody would like to see them.

LED cluster mod with Omori boost and ProSport water temp gauges. Done before I bought the car.

For anybody that hasn’t seen the build thread on Roclife, I bought this car in March as a summer/fun car. Driving it on nice days, autocrossing, cruises, etc. When I got it, it was in pretty shitty shape. The electrical was a mess, body was really bad and it was just an over eyesore. It needed work. I’m going to school at MCC as part of their Automotive Program for Toyota. I’ve got all access to their online manuals and everything I’ve needed to put the car together.

Anybody who knows Justin/Audiochef (prolly doesn’t post here) can attest to the work he’s put into it, body wise. I replaced the rear bumper from cracked fiberglass hanging on by a thread with a factory piece, added the factory spoiler and repaired the trunk lid, which had a ton of different holes drilled in it. He also pulled a huge dent in the rear driver’s quarter which had bondo applied about an inch thick at places and removed the wood screws holding the side skirts on. The moldings which look shaved, aren’t fully done right. They were glassed over on the front bumper, doors and rear quarter/bumper areas. When he fixed the rear quarter, he removed the moldings, filled them in correctly and glassed over them. That quarter is now the original metal with minimal filler to get the lines right. He also removed two spots of rust in the insides of the rear wheels, welded in new steel and coated it accordingly.

I did have a front lip on the car but it was “removed” by a tow truck on my way back from Leicester (broke shifter cable bushings, since replaced with brass, much better feel than the stock rubber) and so I have not replaced it. It was my plan to order a new bumper this spring, I would suggest you do the same. The mounting holes for the lip were all ripped out by previous owners, so I really had it hanging on by zip ties as a temp fix.

If anyone is interested I can show the car pretty much any time, I’m off school til January. I’ve put a lot of work into this car and would like to see someone who can appreciate it, own it. I just have to pay bills and take care of my family.

i have suck a soft spot for these. i wish i was in the market for a car now, but not till spring. GLWS very nice car

im picturing the car being white, mmmm sexy, mileage?

It actually was white before the previous owner, whoever, painted it a black with ghey flake. So for now front up to the rear quarters is that black, rear of the car is DP90 matte black primer. Was going to paint the whole car like that.

Mileage is 147,xxx.

god i want that car…dont got the cash im looking to trade mine for a nother car… GLWS

It’s come a ways since I got it. It’s in much better condition now and the longer I keep it, the more I keep fixing it so that whoever owns it next doesn’t have to. I am getting pretty much anything I find replaced with either Toyota factory parts via a hookup on our MR2 boards, or upgrading it.

This car is a BLAST to drive.

If by tax time I don’t have it sold for what I’m looking for, I’m just going to keep it and pay bills with my taxes instead of modding it more.

Was going to add Koni adjustables with the springs I’ve got and megasquirt/tune it with BTF Racing. I am still looking for a knock off Walker Japan front bumper though. The real ones are fiberglass and the knockoffs are plastic or whatever. Justin can work just fine with the non-fiberglass and if I’m going to continue autocrossing the car, I don’t want a fiberglass front end, lol.

Still the right offer at any time will not be ignored. Family’s gotta come first for now.

Sheesh, that body has been mutilated. Glad to see you’ve put a lot of time in it, I appreciate your efforts, coming from a hardcore MR2 afficionado. Good luck with the sale.

You should see the “before” pics :eek:

let me find out whats going on with my celica tmrw. i would love this car…

ok, well…the sherrif is calling me back tmrw so i’ll hopefully have an answer tmrw lol.

No problem. What happened?

well, my car was broken into while it was at the repair shop and someone stole 4k worth of audio stuff…but i cant pick up my car until the situation is resolved (its been there since october) and i cant get a hold of the police or anyone right now to see when i can get my car back so i can sell it, so i can buy something else…

Ah ok, just remembered reading that thread. GL with that, let me know how it goes. MR. 2 is sitting nicely in the garage waiting for someone to take him for a drive.

If you’re looking to have this as a DD, I might be able to rustle up a set of mismatched winter tires at school if you need em.

Yeah, my insurance company said i should get an answer from an adjuster on mon/tues so i should know then.

This also wont be a daily…it would be a project/weekend car…lol ive got a spot in the garage ready to go for it/a car.

Well then this is perfect then. Exactly what I used it for. Always nice to take the t-tops down on a nice sunny day.

T-topped MR2’s are a ton of fun for sure…

We had them off a few weeks ago for one of our last cruises, was really helpful for shooting rolling shots.

Bump bump ttt, gotta move this thing

+1. (Joe, you will need to come by and check out mine this spring.)

I would just put a +93 lip on it and call it a day. It would match the lines of the Greddy Sides nicely.

Car was defintely abused when you got it. Looks much better now but it still has a way to go IMO. Glad you got the electrical figured out.

GLWS. It is a shame you are selling it. These cars are a blast to drive and VERY easy to source parts for and work on.

My plan was to put a urethane Walker Japan front bumper on it, paint it and call it a day. The mount holes for the lip were torn out by previous owners, and the bumper is really fucked up so I was just going to replace the whole thing. I still might if the price is right and my body guy will work with me. Only reason why I’d want that is because of the way it flows towards the rear, working with the side skirts. Realistically, there’s not much more he needs to do, other than correctly do the rest of the side moldings like he did with the back of the car, fix a small dent and respray.

I really hope someone with a vision like mine (simple, mostly stock body, upgrades where needed) can pick this up and finish what I started. Either that or I’ll just own it longer until I have the money to complete it, then make it really nice and then not sell it :slight_smile: Right now though, things are pretty shitty. I need the money.