1996 Ford Probe SE Problems....A lot...

that does sound like a cat…do you smell a rotten odor

You might get more information on this at probetalk.com as well.

I didnt think the fs had vris if it does thre is a paper test to see if its workin
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=42800

Yeah the SE’s didn’t have VRIS I guess.

try checking on some mazda forums as well, i believe the probe had a mazda motor.

Correct.

The one gen 4 bangers were the F2 and F2T, and the two gen 4 banger that Jon has is the FE3

Yeah I’m gonna do some more checking around and if I can’t find anything promising it’s getting put in a shop somewhere. I shoulda just bought another VW :mad: haven’t had any problems with that!

out some racing fuelk in that bitch and burn the cat to hell

Are you sure that your fuel pump is good? Also with the car running spray some brake clean or wd40 all around the intake manifold to see if you have an intake leak. If the car almost stalls out or starts fucking up thats your problem. I doubt thats it but anythings possible.

x2 on the fuel pump. My little sisters mazda had similar symptoms and fuel pump was the problem.

good luck

try joining www.probetalk.com

yeah the second gen mx6/probes had an fs03 2.0lt .If it is indeed the cat easy cheap fix buy a universal .if its a fuel pump let me know I have extras
I got out of the 2.0s last year but still have parts left …also check the vac lines on back of the intake mani it was a problem a few times …pick up a chiltons or haynes if you want to bring it over maybe I can help.pm me

The only thing is I don’t have access to stuff to change or check stuff like the fuel pump since i’m pretty sure on those years it’s on the tank, that’d be impossible to change in the parking lot of an apt. complex. I’m going to have to bring it somewhere to have it checked out I think. I’m not sure where Bellvue is or where your location is but we live in Houston now so I don’t think I’m close to anyone on this site…thanks for the offer though.

You cant get to the fuel pump from a panal under the rear seat? fuel pumps are easy to change…

jon… stop being a pussy! you can change a fuel pump in a parking lot… haha… if it’s an intank pull the rear seat, there will be a metal circle with some screws… if it’s under the car, get a jack stand! those are easy to change becuase they don’t really require anything other than the pain in the ass fuel line release clips and about an iced tea carton of gas spilled…

you can check the fuel pressure at the front of the car also, to see if at least at idle it’s fully powering up… ti’s not the easiest thing to do, but can be done… ghetto splicing a fuel gauge is a no no, but will work!

listen to these guys that owned them though, i have no idea.

do you feel a good amount of exhaust coming out of the tailpipe… i’m still leaning towards a clogged cat…

i think the closest person to you would be the kid that moved to AZ or TJ out in Santa Cruz CA :slight_smile:

The clogged cat is what I was leaning towards too, so I was thinking of just replacing it since the things rusted to hell anyways. The exhaust sounds so loud inside the car for it being a stock exhaust, it’s louder then mine is…that’s why I was leaning towards that.

i’d start there for sure! see if you can feel exhaust flowing out of the tailpipe like it should be…

Well just wanted to say thanks for all the help everyone but now this got shoved aside even more, someone backed into my car and smashed a light first off, which turned out ok. They were loaded so they had no problem paying for it, but then on the way home my car died…coil shorted out. $702 to change that out and my ignition switch, ugh. Wish I had the time to do it all myself!