1996 Ford Probe SE Problems....A lot...

SORRY for the long post, but if you think you can help please read! Thanks!

Hey, me and my girlfriend Nicole signed up here recently by request of my bossy sister Jenn…anywho we were wondering if you guys could help, I’ve tried everything I know and I’m at a loss.

Ok, so the list of problems which seem to all be connected.

The performance on this car, is terrible. Then when you get to about 4 grand or so you lose all power, same at 3/4 to full throttle. There also seems to be an electrical problem to the point that if you use the power windows and the headlights are on the lights dim and the engine bogs down. Also, at neutral it says it’s under about 30% load…?! Neutral rev, seems to hit a governer at the same 4k…and the list goes on. Battery is good, connections on it are good…threw codes saying engine too lean, and air metering(something like that).

What I’ve done:
Replaced muffler, it was obstructed since it was broken inside.
Cleaned MAF, dirty as hell.
Cleaned fuel injectors, also seemed to help a little.
Replaced connector on top of battery since they were corroding and breaking, sort of helped with the power problem.

After all of this, nothing seemed to completely solve the problem…if anyone has ANYTHING to suggest, please reply. I’m at a loss and I may just bring it somewhere to get it fixed if I can’t figure it out, if I can find the money.

pics of said G/F!!!

pm betrayed 93 or victersmalls,both were probe masters

there is a solenoid that actuates the secondary butterflies. can’t think of the name right now. but sounds lot like they are not opening

<<<<Not a clue what you are referring too =/ any further explanation? Thanks…

for starters I would disconnect the air filter and run the car straight off of the MAF. I ran into a down right nasty clogged air filter when I first got my 1gen and it had all of the same problems. After that I would check the plugs, coil, and wires.

check your grounds… and when it doubt put more grounds down… one to motor one to body…

Clogged cat?

I would then move on to the cat… run the car around for awhile and then take a look at it to see if it is glowing red.

Eh fuck it,who needs a cat anyway:bigthumb:

Sorry forgot that she did the air filter before we moved down here, new plugs and wires but I don’t know about the coil. I never heard that about the cat, but that’s easy to check.

I was actually going to check the ground to make sure it is good, i’ll have to do that and check the coil, tommorow, and i’ll just take the thing when I go shopping tonight and check the cat when I get home.

Thanks for all the help so far.

if all of that checks out I would look into a new cap and rotor next.

For the most part these motors are very easy, as long as your getting fuel, spark, air and your electrical connections are all plugged in then your usually in good shape.

Beth has been wanting me to get back into a 1gen. Maybe sometime soon.

Ok heres an update.
Air filter is still good.
New plugs and wires, idk how to check the coil.
Grounds are good.
Haven’t checked the cat, that’s what i’m going to do now.
Cap and rotor are in decent condition.

Another thing I noticed that I didn’t before since I didn’t have the windows down, when it gets reved up to the point that it kicks back and seems to shut the fuel off like a governer, it also sounds like it’s backfiring? It sounds like a crotch rocket backfiring…? Makes me think the cat thing is what I should look into next so I am.

Just run it for a while and see if it’s glowing red? I’m off for a drive!

Sounds like it could be a cat.

It will glow after driving it for awhile if the cat is clogged.

I couldn’t see anything just looking under it, then again it has a heat shield so i’m assuming I wouldn’t be able to anyways.

When it heated up completely and ran for a while, the engine would go smoothly all the way up to redline, just very little power after 4-4.5K RPM’s…i’m confused as hell by this problem!

Fuel filter

variable resonance induction system VRIS
it is on backside of manifold. it opens another set of butterfiles at higher RPMS

Fuel Filter has been changed recently =/

You think it’s this VRIS thing that’s the culprit?
How do you check that kind of thing?

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass but i’ve tried everything I know so thanks for the help!

Dude,google it man

you can always just gut it if possible… thats the popular thing on my car its called a tvis though dont exacly what it stands for but, remove intake manifold and theres like a spacer inbetween the manifold and head you can take it off. But once again not entirely sure about your car…