E36 IAC?

I just picked up a 1998 323iC with a trouble code of P0134pd. The previous owner replaced the O2 sensor on bank 1, with no results. I picked the car up fairly cheap because of this issue. I believe the IAC may be the culprit. It will stall immediately after starting. If it does decide to run, the idle is rough at best. The car is in limp mode, which causes it to buck and jerk upon acceleration. I pulled the IAC of and it is seized up, no internal movement. I cleaned it and got it free, but it seized up again. When I unplug it with the car running, it does nothing to the idle, but will show the code on the OBD scanner. At this pointy I can’t get the vehicle to a garage with the correct tool to read the BMW codes. I’m sure it has over 90K miles on it and has never been replaced. Does the IAC need to be replaced?

Well, that’s a bank 1 sensor 1 no activity code. I’d check for continuity, and replace with a known working sensor. Odd that it won’t start though, could just happen to be coinciding with a bad fuel pump or something as well. If all OBDII IAC’s are the same I might know someone with a known working one to try it out.

http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=13+41+1+744+713

yep, I’ll get ahold of him and try to hook you up, but something’s up with that o2 sensor as well, surely.

Thanks, I swapped on out with a known good one this morning. Threw the same code. I found a guy on craigslist who has some E36 parts cars in Schenectady. I’ll probably pick an IAC from him tonight. Prior to originally replacing the O2, the guy who sold me the car, said he had a P1188 code, so he had Browns Ford change the O2 sensor. Once it was changed the P0134 code came. They pulled in out of their garage and the previous owner did’t want to pay to fix it, so I picked it up. At this point it wouldn’t stay running. I unplugged the MAF and was able to drive the car 2 miles to my house, where it’s been parked ever since.

Sounds like a bad maf as well then, and they might have used the wrong o2 sensor.

Guy in schenectady is almost assuredly Joe K lol.

FUCKIN JOE K

THAT GUY

Yes, it is Joe. lol

I have a receipt for the MAF, which was purchased on the 22nd of Feb. I’m just trying to troubleshoot everything 1st. I learned my lesson with my M3.

WEIRD

This is why I hate obdII E36s lol.

U need to clear the code first. Thats y u have no effect when u unplug iac

I soaked the IAC in seafoam last night. I put it back in this morning and the car drives and idles fine now, but is still stuck in limp mode. I can’t clear the P0134pd with my scan tool, it wont go away. At this point the code is the only issue. Two new O2 sensors were both tried, with no resolve to the issue. At this point I’m probably just going to take it to a garage who has a MODIC and see what that says before I spend any money on this.

EDIT: Since its a pending code (P0134pd), will it clear on its own after a certain number of driving cycles?

Is the sensor getting power? Could there be a bad connection in the wire somewhere?

Ill check it in the morning. Sould it have a 12v power supply?

I dunno about that it just seems if you’re throwing a code for a bad sensor and you’re using a known working sensor it seems it would be a possibility that the sensor isn’t getting power.

Should be 4 wires.

Brown-heater ground
Black-signal ground
red and white-12v
yellow-signal

you should have 12v with ignition on

Thank you sir, i will check this with my multimeter!

I ran through a few drive cycles and the codes are gone. The issue now is that the car still feels like its in limp mode. I hits a wall when I hit 4k rpms. The car runs fine, no hesitation or missfire, but accelerates very slowly. The head was replaced back in December. If the vacuum lines were replaced incorrectly, could this cause the sluggish acceleration?

Update:

I just spoke with the previous owner to find out ANY maintenance done to the car within the last month. He stated the fuel filter was replaced at the time the O2 sensor was replaced. Upon my inspection of the fuel filter, I have determined the whoever replaced the fuel filter, put it in backwards. Now I’m off to work until zero dark thirty, so I won’t be able to give another update until tomorrow.

what a fukken goof

I replaced the fuel filter and it runs slightly better. It still will not accelerate past 4500 rpms and has a 0-60 time of 1 minute. No CEL…I’m stumped…

codes?