Please Help, Idiling prob

hey guys i dont really know if its a problem or not but here is what happend…

yesterday friday the 2nd of Feb, i drove the car to school, everthing was fine…

then when i left seneca, at 5 pm…i realized that when the engine was warmed up and i stopped at a red light, that the rpm dipped down close to that mark, i think its the engine cut off point…500 i think…and everytime i would come to a complete full stop, this would happen and stay at 500 and the car vibrates a lot and chokes and feels like its going to cut off untill i press the gas and move off…

can anyone help me with this? why is this happening?? it may not be a big prob but small problems like this just pisses the shit out of me and makes me feel to abandon the car and kick the shit out of it…

oh yeah the car is a 96 s14…KA

help is much appreciated…

thanks, Omar

ahh, i just covered this like yesterday. but yeah. check and clean the MAF sensor.(didn’t work for me) change the type of gas (didn’t work for me) and last, check your air filter if theres a peice of newspaper or shit caught in there ( there was newspaper in mine) i cleaned it off with compressed air, and it runs like a champ now. those are some that i had to go through to figure it out. but yeah. there could be other reasons…like…injectors is one. so yeah. play around and you’ll find the solution in no time.

Tried to blow out the MAF sensor but the RPM is still at 550 and checked the air filiter there is nothing blocking the air passage. What else do you guys think it could be?

Help is much appreciated thank you.

Could be something to do with the cold. Im sure the KA has a idle control screw, try adjusting it for a temp fix to the problem.

yea the ka has the screw to adjust the idle, but one of my friends tried to adjust his and ended up breaking off the screw because its plastic and messed up his motor lol

i think its something to do with the cold too…but why wouldnt it happen since the first day we got like -10…

flying chicken---- i tried blowing out the maf sensor (didnt work) where did you get the compressor from? and where did you use it on? the intake piping?

do any of you think it could be that the fuel filter is choked up with shit from the tank? when running your gas low…??? because the day it happend my tank was only quarter full and i had regular shell gas in there…

this is really pissing me off, im headed to my mechanic right now…if any of you know why its happening and its an easy fix please call me 416 705 9016

thanks a lot.

i work at acura. so i get access too all the goodies…its great when you own a 240…heh

Hi. Had a similar problem with my 96’ SR. It happened “all of a sudden” too. The fuse that passes power to the Idle Air Control Valve [IACV] blew on a cold, wet day (still don’t know why). Without that the engine can’t get enough air past the closed throttle plate. I’d check this fuse first. Its a 10A - #23 according to your FSM fuse. Inside, driver’s side kick panel, left row 4th from the bottom. If that doesn’t fix it use a meter to see if either of the connector pins is getting 12V while idling. Good luck!

Oh, and the idle adjustment might look like a screw but it’s made from the world’s softest nylon (or PE). Don’t use a screw driver - use one of those disposable plastic knives instead and you won’t mess it up!

I have the same problem. At random my car will jump to 500-600 rpm while the car is idling. Im going to try a new cone as well as installing my new fuel filter.

grey brother, im going to check the fuse you mentioned.

thanks for all the help guys…and i will check out that fuse grey brother (but i think i already did)

anyway, yesterday i was cleaning out the maf plug…inside the tube where its mounted on and i happend to break the little piece of metal in there i think its another sensor but i can be wrong, now the car idles like a v8 and blowing out blue smoke…so i know for sure now i need to buy a MAFS (the whole thing, the tube with the adaptor on the top)

does anyone have a mafs for a 96? and i know this aint the right section but i posted it in the want to buy section also. i just need it asap.

might as well replace your fuel filter if you haven’t changed it in awhile now. when my car was idling crap, i took out my filter, blew on it and a lot of dirt come out some fuel. replaced it and the car sounded better. if you do find a lot of crap in the filter, change ur plugs also. it’s all cheap and for the health of your car anyways.

so this is the latest…

varun found me a mafs and i put it on now the car runs good, the same as before tho…

the rpm still goes down to 550…i think its a vacume leak…

or does any one think that the idle speed needs to be adjusted? has anyone had this problem before? maybe its just regular maintanence…when the car reached 186 just the other day it started happening…maybe i need to adjust the idle???

anyone know?

last night i put in a injector cleaner on a full tank of gas…maybe it’ll help

Dxero---- yeah maybe its my filter…it looks old and rusty…ill try taking it out and cleaning…thanks

I had a similar problem and i adjusted the iacv screw and it fixed it

I had a similar problem with my 94 nissan pathfinder take your throttle body off and clean it behind the trottle plate. it will probly be covered in oil residue and crap… there are tiny passages that are used for idle… if they are pluged it will run like crap… my truck was fine one morning and i started it up at lunch and it ran like crap took it home cleaned the throttle body and its been good… try that. i used carb and throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush. scrub it good then rinse it out and blow it off with commressed air… wear saftey glasses. that cleaner sucks in the eye. be careful with the gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. good luck

240 ville ---- yeah that was my next option…what did you use to turn the screw? because i know it is very soft so i dont want to f it up, and what was your similiar problem?..thanks

reds14 ---- yea i will also try this…when you say it was idliling like crap what do you mean? it was rough idliling or the idle just dropped like mine?

thanks for all the help …

sorry i should of put that in… yes the idle would drop to 500 rpm… sometimes it would bounce around from 500 to 750 or so, but was really noticable… because the truck was shaking and struggeling the idle mostly stayed at 500 rpm. Once i cleaned the throttle body its steady at 750 right where it was set before this problem. sorry that i didn’t include that earlyier. good luck

reds14---- no prob dont worry about it…thanks for the help…

holy crap, i should join the club, i have same problem, am it idles at 500rmp some times comming to a stop it will cut off, , i was told it could be a vacume leak or the brake booster is leaking, when u step on the brake the idle goes even lower, i donno but i;m swaping me motor soon, so it could idle as low as it wants for now after my engine swap it could fcuk off for my part. lolz!

yea trinituner thats what happens…when i use any more power the idle drops even lower, like if i put on my lights or something it drops so low it wants to cut off…then comes up a little…THIS IS PISSING ME OFF

what the hell is it???

Make sure alternator belt is at correct tension, and is charging properly.

Then make sure you’re grounds and battery terminals etc are good and clean, and this is never a fun problem to diagnose…

Good luck.