2 Stroke theory question

Why have 2 cycle engines not made a come back in auto racing? Their small, light weight and high output coupled with the last 5 or so year of advancement in Direct Injection technology seems like it would be a winning combination.

I know 2 stroke engines are not liked due to their high emissions but I think DI would decrease that significantly. Although honestly a DI 2 cycle engine just screams it should be a diesel in my head.

I want a 6 or 7L V8 2 cycle monster. I think you would accidentally make 700 or 800 torque.

edit: discuss

I’m not sure the power band would be very corner friendly when heavily modified.
On the other hand, there are 2 stroke motors that burn cleaner than most of the 4 strokes now.
Injecting oil directly where it needs to be rather than tossing oil in the gas and letting it cycle threw primary and secondary compression then burn the excess off.

Would you be boosting the 2 stroke diesel?

I have herd about some of the newer 2 strokes being very clean. I have been waiting for a come back though. It seems like it would be a great way to keep weight down. 2 stroke engines are crazy light compared to their 4 stroke counter part

boosted 2 stroke diesel? I will leave that up to you. IMO diesel is not efficient until you get a good amount of boost pressure behind it.