2001 Ford Ranger Question: No compression?

Lady here at work tells me her 2001 Ranger with a V6 (she doesn’t know which one) had a check engine light on. Was saying misfire in 2 cylinders.

She drives it for two weeks like this and takes it to her friend. He does plugs and wires and the light goes off but it only drives 50mph.

As of yesterday it will only drive 30mph and runs bad. She takes it to the shop and they say 2 cylinders have no compression.

That is all the info I have as she is a woman, enough said.

My question. Was the problem an ignition problem that turned worse, is the shop messing with her or did she really blow two cylinders?

Go!

I would think if you run a truck that long misfiring it would be very possible to damage the pistons or the rings. Without doing an actual compression and leakdown you can’t know for sure though.

Compression check is in from the shop 60 in one 75 in the other 155ish on the rest.

Are the 2 bad cylinders next to each other? I think they would really need to do a leakdown test before it gets torn apart to know for sure where the problem is.

Yup…

Looks like they are ripping the engine apart. I told the lady not to, but she isn’t very smart.

I offered her money for the truck and told her to just buy a new car, but she says she doesn’t have any money. I asked her how she’ll pay for the re-pair and she said with a credit card. :picard:

Can’t help those which are too lost I suppose.

LOL

Seriously… It is a 2001 Ranger with 150K+ miles. They estimated the charges at $1500-2000. Jumped timing and bent two valves I think. I offered her $500 for the truck.

She should take out a loan and buy a used focus 2002-2004 with 60-80K miles for <$4500. Put the $500 I give her down and pay $125 a month till it is paid for.

But now she’ll have a POS truck plus 2K in CC bills at 20% interest. I hate average American people. I really tried to help her too, that is the sad thing.

She can’t even see how any of this is a bad idea.

+1

edit: looks like it’s too late now

yeah too late now but if its only two cylinders and theyre next to each other it is prob a bad headgasket. Problem there is that the block often gets damaged when its driven for a while like that.

It is supposed to be done tomorrow or some jazz so I’ll post what it is for shits and giggles.