2003 audi a4 1.8t reliable?

so im in the market for a new vehicle and i came across an a4 1.8t with about 50000 miles on it and didnt know if these vehicles were reliable or if they were lemons… im looking for somthing reliable. let me know what you guys think!
thanks in advance

If it is CPO, then you won’t have any issues that will be a big deal for a while

Certified Pre-Owned?

From what I’ve gathered, they’re nice cars if you can keep up on the usual maintence.

any new car is going to be “reliable”

every new car has its own “issues”

the V6 motors are more “reliable” then the 1.8t’s when you get up there in mileage

It’s an Audi and that’s says a lot. The 1.8T is a decent engine excepting maybe the coil packs and control arms. Buying CPO is a good idea. Being in warranty will help, but the dealer who’s going to work on it(I’m assuming here) has a less than stellar reputation. Out of warranty there aren’t a wole lot of shops really good at fixing it. Jason at Black Forest should be your first thought here.

Don’t get me wrong I love my Audi’s but they require a certain ?

TIP or stick, what options?

I would be very wary. My buddy has a 04 and he had to get a new motor at 80K.
Oiling system failure.

Front wheel bearing failed… expensive and complicated repair due to design.

Radio display screwed up. Window switch.

Car was purchased certified used from Audi dealer. Completely stock always, maintained, and not abused.

I don’t know with this particular year and model but audi’s usually have electrical problems, and the window regulators go.

But I <3 Audi, I’d totally buy another one.

If you want reliable and AWD, I’d go with a Subaru or something. But if you want fancy, BMW. If not, just get a Honda.

changing rear brakes on an 03 a4 is different than a reg car also. have to take off the shock and support rear lower control arm.

awd 5spd not sure on options

Fortunately this one isn’t as old as your was. But you loved your car…

It’s an odd process to take the bearings out and best to replace the hardware when you do it due to rust. But it’s not that bad.

The 300mm rears are different, but the 245/255’s are pretty straightforward.

i drive this exact same car.
im in the 80k mile range and there has been nothing catastrophic as far as issues.

its called regular maintenence…everyone seems to think like audi is the only fucking car with the need of a control arm to be replaced. or a wheel bearing…

ALL CARS NEED THIS SHIT. it just so happens that audi’s parts are more expensive and the labor is a little more time consuming.

im just about to do my timing belt and water pump next week. i had the fuel pump/filter replaced under a recall on 2003’s ONLY…which was a nice plus.

mine is certified and its a huge breath of fresh air even though you need to deal with schmitts if youre in the buffalo area for warranty repairs.

i have zero complaints with the car and picked mine up with ~69k miles on it.
let me tell you…honda kids know a whole lot about audi’s. :rolleyes:

LMK if you have any specific questions regarding these cars. and if it helps do some research on audizine.com

there is plenty of very useful info broken down by generation/model of vehicle and a handful of DIY threads to give you an idea of what maintaining one of these entails.

Not sure exactly why you think you had to do such a thing.

lollllllllllllll.

you have to. i just did one at work. you cant get the bottom caliper bolt off unless you take off the rear bolt in the rear shock and move it over. then i had to support the lower control arm to get a long ass extension to break loose the bolt with a swivel head.

i dont know why you are laughing

noooppe. just did rears on my a4 a couple months ago

Then you suck at being a mechanic. It is not necessary to do what you did at all. That is why he is laughing and that is why Jason said “why”. Jason knows as he does this all day. I did more than my fair share of audi’s also. If you did it the way you describe you = FAIL.

I’ve done 2-3 brake jobs on these at different jobs and I’m only 18. I’ve never had to do anything like that on one.

well i dont know and my buddy also did the same thing i did on a s4.

so how did you get the ratchet and 8mm allen head in there without moving the rear shock

Get better tools? I don’t know it was no problems for me.