2004.5 350Z Audio problem ?

Hey guys,

I Have a 350z and I love it, however, two days ago I’ve come to randomly notice that the left speakers are not functioning properly. Both the right side and the subwoofer work fine, and you can hardly notice when its all working together. I have tried setting the balance all the way to the left and they just seem to be spurting out bits and pieces of the sound they are supposed to. Im good at wiring/electronics and I can start troubleshooting, but before I dig in there Im just curious if anyone else had this problem, or if its a regular problem, or if anyone else had this happen to them ever at all ?

Thanks

Hi

yes, that has happened to almost all my cars when i had them, i had one bad habbit, and that was long drives everyday with my driver window down about 4inches and alot of smoking in my car, summer and winter time, however winter time i never used to vacuume my car, so the lint off my cigs eventually with outside dust or what ever would land on my rear driver speaker, and over time it started knocking and cutting out, could have been from the lint or the winter cold hitting it all the time, and the occasional high bass and high treble with low mid range. I noticed my speakers were after market, they usually do go out one speaker at a time or both together, but if you are the second owner, that propbably means the previous owner pounded the music on high bass and treble with negative mid-range.

if its your left speaker, most likely it could be you keep your driver window down occationally and or something like that, if not, it must be a prob with nissan cars, as my last two cars with this prob were nissan.

good luck, i know my info is not technical just somthing that happened to me but hopefully you could take something positive from it to figure your situation out.

Z guys are almost useless on TNC, lol

^^^
He would know… he was one of em.

^^^ thats not a solution either, atleast i mentioned how i got the same problem. Pensi di essere intelligente, Questo numero, se potete.lol

yes, you are right, but at the same time he didn’t insult my post indirectly, by saying what you said, if you stay out of people’s business they will stay out of yours.

Okay, lets all chill out and try to help vlad with his audio problem instead of bickering about who’s technically right or wrong.

@Pyro: come on man, appreciate the new moderator but dont get into a never-ending debate

@ismo: If you preach about being the bigger man, dont perpetuate the cycle of conflict.

@alesserfate: maybe what ismo says has an effect. After all, the last owner was a regular smoker. Or maybe some lines got jostled in the bumper to bumper incident so just look into the connections maybe?

^what an asshole, he knows too much about the previous owner.

Well i tried to reply but i must have timed out so I will try again.

So ya i had this problem as well. I have a 2004ZR. It only happend a few times and then i ended up swapping out all the OEM audio for aftermarket stuff. So when it did happen i hit the dash a few times in frustration and yo and behold it was ok again. I was going to take it in under warranty. I paid like 1500 for extra warranty that included the audio but as said above I swapped everything out so…

You could maybe try taking the head unit out without unplugging and give it some jarring to see if its a loose connection inside. The dash comes apart pretty easy once you know where the screws and stuff are. I installed my CF dash and had to take everything out including taking the flip up door completely apart. As Xuper Xero says my350z forum uder the audio and DIY section will have some links and ref to taking the dash out.

Good luck

+1 for being cute and faster than me on tsukuba on bg4

I say you call the previous owner to demand an explanation…:smiley:

from what i hear the previous owner is gay and kept playing spice girls as loud as possible, thats why the audio system isnt working properly.

^Myth

Previous owner said he only played Y&D songs.

Previous owner also said he had a bit of problems with driver’s door speaker acting up on a few occasions, but never a problem with all the left side.

Well, prior to ripping apart panels and pulling the head unit, what I’m going to do is grab a working speaker and check if I am actually receiving the proper signal at the connector to each failed speaker, and if I am, than thats the problem right there, speaker failure. If I find that its not the problem, I am probably going to take the head unit out and use an external source to see if the connection is ok from the head unit main connector to each speaker channel and whether they respond. If it does not, than its the wiring, if it does than its the head unit. I predict in this order most likely 1: speakers; 2: headunit; 3: wiring. Thats all. I’ll post once I get around to doing it.