Need audio advice~

Hi guys, I need some help from anyone who has a clue about speakers/audio. I am pretty good mechanically but this electronics thing is not my forte. Here’s the deal. When we first got the Z my hubby took her up to circut city ( I know I know wrong move by it was his deal) and had them replace the stock speakers w/ alpines and added an alpine amp (all speakers except the sub). Last summer I started noticing “fuzz” coming from the woofer right behind my head in the drivers seat. Wierd thing is that it comes and goes, like if I hit a bump in the road, or corner really hard at high speeds. Now to me, that seems like there is something wrong w/ a wire connection as opposed to a blown speaker. We took it back to circut city and they supposedly found a wire that was grounded or something. Said it was fixed but now since getting the Z back on the road after the winter, I am still having the same problem.

My question is this: Is there a test that an audio place could do in order to tell where the actual problem is, or do I have to subject my Z to having all the interior panels ripped off in order to find the culprit? There is a place down greensburg pike from me like 3 blocks that is an audio place if anyone is familiar? I think I might take her there but if someone has any good/bad reports about this place I’d be very grateful. Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice. cheers.

sounds like a loose ground.

can also be called something called a ground loop. can be picked up anywhere. They sell ground loop isolators that may help.

in some cases it can also be a sign of a failing alternator.

also check to see if they ran your power wire and signal wire together. that can cause you to have the fuzzy sound thru your speakers as well

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. :smiley:

Id say check all the spliced and connected wires, maybe if you can get your hands on a different sub to try out and cancel the sub being f-ed up from the equation. Bascialyl your best bet is to try all senerios can cancel out all the major things like, sub going dead, faulty wire connection, check all the grounds and i dunno about the Z but on my 200sx my antenna was loose and when you moved it around id get feedback in my sub and if you shook it hard enough the headunit actually turned itself off and it would come back on…prob not the issue here, but something to look into if all else fails

cuz your head unit shared ground with your antennea. its not as common as it used to be. depending on car you antennea, radio, fuel pump can all share a common ground

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-54608124176281_1863_17244585

The NF-5 in-line power supply Noise Filter eliminates noise generated by the alternator and charging system of the vehicle. Ever since automobiles were invented, the vehicle’s chassis has been used as a common ground return for its electrical charging system. The point on the chassis where an audio component is grounded may be anything but quiet; alternator whine or other electrical noises can be “picked up” by the sensitive component. In a perfect world, every manufactured mobile audio component would be designed with enough power supply filtering. But “visions of perfection tend to disappoint.” So installers are faced with installing vulnerable audio components in an electrically hostile environment: a two-fold problem which translates to… NOISE!

Using the highest quality components and passive circuitry, PIE’s NF power lead filters will eliminate unwanted noise due to alternating current fluctuations, resulting in a quiet audio system, free of alternator whine and other vehicle accessory noise (e.g., ignition, windshield wipers, etc.). Heavy-gauge wire leads and heavy-duty potted enclosures ensure long-term reliability. Quick and easy to install, just insert the noise filter in-line on the power lead to the component.

This In-Line Power Supply noise filter is rated for up to a 5-AMP load.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/10014008.gif;pvfb02d629cbc067c2
ELECTRONIC NOISE ELIMINATOR
(For systems with up to 35-amp, 200-Watt capacity)
Electronic suppressor has special filter (with 2 transistors and capacitors) to eliminate virtually all electrical noise from alternators, fan motors, ignitions, generators. Also helps eliminate in-line radio frequency noise. Easy in-line installation.

how about just have it done / fixed right instead of slapping half assed band-aids on it…

wow, old thread.