2004 STI mild build

Ring terminal in the 2nd pic is too large (lol), and if you’re soldering each terminal, you could save a lot of time by making an aviation-quality crimp with ratcheting crimpers. Def nothing wrong with soldering them, though (other in high temp situations where the solder could melt)

yea, I ran out of my smaller ring terminals… but it will do for now… lol. I also left my ratcheting crimpers at work so I just used the basic crimpers for now. I did not solder them b/c I figure if they give me an issue I’ll crimp them correctly at that point.

I hate those horns on subarus. Paint the housings black.

I was actually thinking of powder-coating them as close as possible to the WRB. Not sure where to get the powder that will match though.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_33_36_95&products_id=207

I would rather powder coat them if I can, but I may paint… not 100% sure yet. Either way it will be easy to do.

I was trying to stay away from anymore electronic upgrades but the cheap looking garage door opener was bugging the hell out of me… so I went on ebay and picked up a cheap homelink setup. I mounted it directly in front of the domelight panel. I was really hoping to put it right in the panel but the main control box would not fit. Since the unit I bought was designed for a visor, after cutting the hole in the headliner I had to then carefully trim some of the headliner material to thin out the headliner in that area. This allowed the cover panel to be able to fully snap back into the control box.
Pics:

Power tagged into the domelight wires to be able to use the remote with the car off.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/offroadzj/2004%20Subaru%20STI/001-3.jpg

Finished Install.

What I would do differently next time/What I would recommend to anyone looking to do this as well:
Space out the homelink from the dome light panel further. I marked the edge of the domelight panel and then cut the hold close to it to keep everything tight but unfortunately I did not factor in the control box of the homelink and it ended up hitting part of the domelight panel. Luckily I was able to trim a bit of the underside of the domelight panel to get it to fit fairly well. As you can kind of see in the pics, it still causes the headliner to push up ever so slightly which causes a very minor gap between the headliner and the domelight panel.

it not being centered with the dome light bugs me the fuck out

it is centered right now. I took the pic then noticed it was off center and fixed it.

Your fingers look funny in the rear view

sick jeep dude!

Another quick mod. Took me all of about 2 minutes and the only tool required was a panel popper.
“Custom” JDM style tail lights:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/offroadzj/2004%20Subaru%20STI/20110817_11.jpg

Couldn’t get a pick of the brakes on. Nothing special, but its one more thing that sets it apart.

I dont get the taillight mod.

Door opener looks OEM. Nice job.

Where can I find those horns? I’ve seen em on a tone of STi’s and want em. My horn is gay as fuck. One step above a motorcycle horn

they are hella supertones and you can find them almost anywhere.

The taillight mod is nothing special. The JDM spec STI’s (from what I’ve seen) use the circular lens for the parking light and the outermost part of the larger lens for brakes. Where the USDM spec STI’s use the larger lens for lights and the center lens for brakes.

So it is just switched from USDM to JDM. nothing special, but it something more to set it apart and make it “my own”

gotacha nice touch

thanks for the horn tip too

Added more rice to the STI today:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/offroadzj/2004%20Subaru%20STI/061.jpg

It will actually be functional. I plan on putting a hitch on her soon for towing around the motorbike… and ever since having the backup camera on my old truck; hooking up a trailer is never as easy as it is when you can actually see where you are hooking it up. The camera makes life a hell of a lot easier.

very nice!

oh shit MJB customs on the reflect!

Where do you see MJB customs???