2004 STI mild build

That gauge pod needs to be subjected to the death penalty

And this is why the site sucks, everyone bashes anyone who does something “they don’t like” but the bottom line is its his car and if he likes it then thats all the matters, however to jump on the bandwagon of idiots I’ve seen plenty of the cars from people on here who thinks there shit is just SIIIICK and to be honest I’ve taken better looking shits after eating Taco Bell.

haha… yea, its not quite mild anymore. But it isn’t exactly a full build yet either.

i do like most of the car… just not the guage pod and some other little stuff

erngotti style

sooooo, what are the functions of all of these gauges?

Left to right is Wideband, Aquamist water/meth flow & failsafe, oil pressure, oil temperature, unkown yet, AEM Tru-boost.

I took notice today and when stopped at a light behind a car (normal distance back) I can still see their rear bumper… so there can’t be that much visibility lost. I would be willing to bet that I can see further past my windshield than someone with a decent size truck.

get an egt sensor and gauge. very useful

I was thinking either EGT or fuel pressure… and leaning more towards EGT

I’m sorry but this is fucking hilarious

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at it… it was quite good. lol.

that would be a wise choice. EGTs will tell you alot

To each his own…I had my single turbo Supra visually ‘gauged out’ at the time and liked it (~2002). 10 years later, I’ve got most of the aftermarket gauges in the Evo hidden, but easily monitored if needed.

I would love to hide them while still keeping them easily monitored, but I have yet to find a viable option. I would love to do one of the ‘all inclusive’ gauge clusters, but I just don’t have that kind of money to drop… lol.

I have been contemplating a 6 gauge clock pod, but I’m not 100% sure how it would work… I would have to do 3 ‘sunken’ gauges then 3 that stick up (similar to the normal clock pods). I’ll see how this one turns out first… the pictures do make it look large and obscene, but its really not that bad… lol.

if you didnt have a double din deck you could put in a single din triple gauge pod, mount one in the far left vent, put two in the cluster hood. or even put some in the glove box. those are some options you could have looked at too.

I thought about all of those. I like having my double din for the navigation (no ugly external unit and I can’t stand flip outs); I don’t want to use up any vents… I did that in my jeep and regretted it almost daily; I had the dual cluster hood and I didn’t like it. Where I put my hands on the wheel were directly at the gauges and I couldn’t see them clearly. In addition, the fitment of the pod sucked (it was very loose even with adding additional screws); and I personally think the glovebox is useless. I am not going to completely turn my head and take my eyes off the road just to monitor something. Also, if a warning were to go off (overboost, low oil pressure, etc) I would never see it.

im assuming that you are also datalogging right?

Not everyday probably just once in a while to give a double check over everything (have to pick up a tactrix cable first though). However, the Tru-boost, Oil pressure, oil temperature, and EGT all have / will have a peak recording so I can always look at what the peaks were after a pull.

Oil temp (in my educated opinion) is the best thing to go by to tell when your car is warm enough for WOT pulls. Too many engines get hurt/worn due to excess load when too cold. IMO, wait until your oil is ~150 degrees before heavy boosting. In my Evo, it takes the oil quite a bit longer to get warm than the water. I’ve never timed it, but it’s probably 3x as long.

Oil temp/pressure, coolant temp. Rest can be hidden for occasional reference at best.