2005 Lotus Elise $13,500 on craigslist

I know it was to good to be true, but it wasn’t pulled so I figured to email him and ask details. It was posted on the Buffalo craigslist stating he didn’t have time to drive it, blah blah…

Yes, I figured it was a scam, but I was bored at work :slight_smile:

Here was the reply

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:07 PM
Subject: RE: 2005 Lotus Elise - $13500

Hi,
First of all I want to tell you that the car is still available for selling and the price of $13,500 includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you wont have to pay any extra charges. The car looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked. It will come with a clear title, bill of sale signed by me as well and all the papers (including the original manuals and keys) that you will need to register it under your name. I’m selling it at a low price because I’ve just moved to Dublin, Ireland and I can’t drive it here because cars from here are with the steering wheel on right, and this it have the steering wheel on left so for me this car is useless. I hope that you will understand my situation.
Here are some details about the car:
Miles: 4647
VIN Number: SCCPC11105HL30943
E-mail me back if you are interested.
Warm regards!

Andrew

cool buy it

Scam

why is it posted in buffalo? is the car in buffalo?

yeah, buy it.

seriosuly though. If you are bored and find anymore scams e-mail them to me. I am building a database of scams.

Well, add that one to your list.

already did, lol.

isn’t there someone doing free car faxes here on teh board?
have him run the vin to see if its really legit

PMed him it to see what it is. Curious. Maybe it’ll be Newman’s VIN

2005 LOTUS ELISE
SCCPC11105HL30943
CONVERTIBLE
1.8L L4 PFI DOHC 16V / REAR WHEEL DRIVE

2 owners one for 1yr 2months second for 1 yr 5months.

no crashes

last od reading 3,350 from illinois dmv.
says its at lotus cars usa on 10/11/2007

there are amazing number of scammers in craigslist…

sigh

ist this true?,because shit I’ll buy it

you guys are not serious are you? You have never seen this scam before?

I’m not. Looked like a legit listing, but I thought the price was way low. But why not ask. Figured I’d post his follow up.

I got basically the same response when I replyed to an add about a car on craigslist; said he just moved to Ireland too.

Yeah, about 25 grand too low.

There is about 2-3 cars listed on craiglist every day like this. If there is no phone # in the ad and the price is ridiculously low, its a scam.

Haha, got the same response on a 67 Camaro that was posted a while back. They need a new scam, the Ireland thing is getting old.

Hi,
First of all I want to tell you that the car is still available for selling and the price of $8,000 USD includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you wont have to pay any extra charges. The car looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked. It will come with a clear title, bill of sale signed by me as well and all the papers (including the original manuals and keys) that you will need to register it under your name. I’m selling it at a low price because I’ve just moved to Dublin, Ireland and I can’t drive it here because cars from here are with the steering wheel on right, and this it have the steering wheel on left so for me this car is useless. I hope that you will understand my situation.
Here are some details about the car:
Miles:90000
VIN Number:123377N127564

E-mail me back if you are interested.
Warm regards!

Daniel

:picard:

I think the people that fall for scams like that are bigger assholes than the scammer. I mean, it’s not some half senial old person trying to buy an Elise, because I’d feel bad for an old person getting scammed. I’d almost be willing to give kudos to the scammer for separating an idiot from his money.