2006 Saturn Vue Carrier Bearing

Funny thing is, this was not even a problem when it was broken. I had to fix it to make it happen.

I was just doing a little extra-curricular research on this and word on the street is that these driveshafts are almost as notorious as the carrier bearing. It appears the pressing on / off of the yoke is fairly difficult and hard not to tweek the yoke during pressing. A company in Michigan offers a completely redesigned shaft setup that rectifies the poor carrier bearing design as part of the new shaft. Pricey but may be the only true solution to multiple problems.

same thing happened to my mothers vue. it was a bitch to replace.

you need to mark the yoke and shaft so that it all goes back together in the same orientation or else you need to get the shaft rebalanced

My wifes 05 is going to be on it’s second bearing. After I install the shaft anyway.
The first went at around 20k and was replaced at the dealer.

I had Fleetpride install a bearing I bought from rockauto with new joints for about $200.

I would have replaced it by now, but they painted the driveshaft and thus I have lost all my orientation marks.
It was also a PITA to do in my driveway. I need to find me a lift. Should only take 20 minutes that way :frowning:
I will miss the fuel savings too :frowning:

:tup: to the pics and info in this thread :slight_smile:

Depending on how much the correction costs, I may just bite the bullet and go with the upgraded shaft and bearing. Since the bearing I installed is pretty much the same one that went bad, it stands to reason it will do so again. You can use my shop / lift if you need to do yours. Definitely makes it a simple project. Let me know.

Been awhile but finally broke down and bought the upgraded aftermarket shaft assembly from Shaftmasters. Vibration issue solved. Was a high quality and nicely assembled setup. Fast shipping and friendly people. Highly recommend.

Oh, also new it was time for winter tires so my buddy hooked me up with a set of Cooper AT3’s and so far I’m very pleased. Snow traction is sick.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/arrowenterprises/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131214_142213502_zpsev9j9nbu.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/arrowenterprises/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131214_142231455_zpsmxqxandz.jpg

“Shaftmasters” lol

They also have one piecers for our cars too.

I have one on my car already and another in my basement that I’ve tried to sell a few times. Replacing that carrier bearing makes a big difference if it’s worn out.