2010 Formula 1 discussion

Is anyone else excited to see how next year will turn out? I’m waiting to see who will be on the US F1 roster and if they will be American like they keep saying.

Twelve teams - including Virgin - on FIA’s 2010 entry list

http://www.formula1.com/photos/225x/sutton/2003/d03mal613.jpg
The FIA published the entry list for the 2010 world championship on Monday evening, featuring 12 rather than the expected 13 teams. According to Formula One racing’s governing body, this is related to Toyota’s planned withdrawal and an announcement regarding their entry will be made in due course.

Other points to note are that Brawn, as expected, plan to change their name following their takeover by Mercedes Benz, while newcomers Manor are officially entered as Virgin, even though the team has yet to make an announcement on their title sponsor. Red Bull retain their Renault engine supply.

The full entry list of constructors and drivers as published by the FIA is as follows:

McLaren Mercedes
1 Jenson Button (GB)
2 Lewis Hamilton (GB)

Brawn Mercedes Benz*
3 Nico Rosberg (D)
4 TBA

Red Bull Racing Renault
5 Sebastian Vettel (D)
6 Mark Webber (AUS)

Ferrari
7 Felipe Massa (BR)
8 Fernando Alonso (E)

Williams Cosworth
9 Rubens Barrichello (BR)
10 Nico Hulkenberg (D)

Renault
11 Robert Kubica (PL)
12 TBA

Force India Mercedes
14 Adrian Sutil (D)
15 Vitantonio Liuzzi (I)

STR Ferrari
16 Sebastien Buemi (CH)
17 TBA

Lotus Cosworth
18 TBA
19 TBA

Campos Dallara
20 TBA
21 Bruno Senna (BR)

US F1 Cosworth
22 TBA
23 TBA

Virgin Cosworth
24 Timo Glock (D)
25 TBA

• This team has indicated its intention to change its team name to Mercedes Grand Prix prior to the start of the 2010 season.
  • Toyota Motorsport GmbH remains formally bound by the Concorde Agreement to put forward a team for participation, though it has indicated that it will not be in a position to do so. An announcement will be made regarding this entry in due course.

I hope Jensen blows out LH… but I don’t think he will. I also pray Schumie ends up at Silver Arrow, but don’t think he will.

And if Piquet gets a seat next to Senna at Campos I will seriously puke on my TV. That kid should have been banned for life.

I agree with you about Jensen because I can’t stand Lewis for some reason. If Piquet comes back I don’t think you’ll need to worry about him staying long, the other drivers don’t respect him and will drive him out.

Btw, I’m totally going to Montreal as long as it doesn’t conflict with a DMCC date. I think we need to get a pit box suite…

Count me in at montreal!

I think 4 was rumored to be nick heidfeld.

Yeah, Quick Nick has been rumored in the seat. I’d like to see him there, but I’d rather see Schumie return with Brawn!

Sadly, I have a feeling the US F1 program will fail miserably.

What about rule changes impacting the cars for next year? I haven’t heard what’s going on.

super excited about next season

<3 the redbull team

No stupid wheel covers, no refueling, no kers. That’s the major stuff.

no refueling? wat?

Yep, back to the old days where you had to do the entire race on one tank.

cool!

I didn’t hear about the wheel covers, I’m curious how that will effect the teams.

The no refueling is obviously the big one and should make it a lot more challenging for the engineers and more exiting at the end of the race. Of course no more cars lighting on fire so there is no way they’re going to attract the nascar crowd anymore. lol

Yeah, I dont know how I feel about the refueling thing

Lmao

I believe they have low-fuel qualifying coming back as well.

Was there an explanation for avoiding refueling? It seems this would remove a good chunk of strategy from race day. I bet the drivers like it since it leaves them more in control of the race outcome, but as a spectator I think it takes away potential for something exiting to happen. I don’t mean a crew member bursting into flames. I’m talking about pit strategy being affected by fuel load and errors holding cars up in the pits.

If the reasoning is to make manufacturers increase fuel economy to be more “green”, I think that’s a shame, but F1 management probably likens their sport to the Olympics where their statement is global and they feel they need to lead change by example. Like most people, the older I get, the more conservative I get. If people want their road car to be “green” that’s fine, but I want to see race cars making power and guzzling gas like they’re supposed to. :slight_smile: I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if F1 goes to electric power in the next 20 years.

Somehow the combination of low level fuel qualifying and removing an element allowing someone to move up the field with good pit strategy seems like a bad combination from a safety standpoint. Drivers will be forced to go even more balls out in qualifying, in faster/lighter cars. This year I felt knockout qualifying was often as, if not more, interesting than the races were so I guess that will continue.

I thought the same at first but then I realized the pit strategy is going to remain there for the tires anyway. The main goal of this is to create a technical challenge for the teams when designing the cars. I do think a small reason behind it is to be more “green” but on the other hand they got rid of last years miserable failure of a technical challenge with a green purpose: Kers.

Consider how cool this would be:

relaxing regulations on engines completely, but limiting the amount of fuel a team gets for a given weekend. Before you know it, we’ll be back to the days of different engine layouts, there will be tons of innovation with capturing lost energy and feeding it back into the drivetrain AND F1 gets to claim to be green.

This also effectively limits power. In later years, you can step the fuel allowance down to further limit power and drive more innovation in efficiency and recovery.

I’m not crazy about the no refueling thing but it will make for some great finishes. KERS was a complete waste of time so I’m not surprised to see that go.

Mercedes’ competition boss Haug also played down the circulating reports about a meeting between Schumacher, team boss Ross Brawn and Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche in Abu Dhabi last month.

“There were no discussions on this subject in Abu Dhabi,” he told Auto Bild.

lol… no discussions at Abu Dhabi, hahaha, great we’ve narrowed down 5 days out of the past 100 where there were no discussions. Even Michael’s father talks about how Michael has been training non stop.