F1 = turds

u guys see anything about that race? ridiculous. no wonder noone in US cares about it. wht couldnt they just had the guys w/ Michelen tires run and then set a manditory pit stop for everyone and that way the michelen guys couldve switched out for new tires at that point??? would thatve worked? anything is bteter than like 75% of the field not driving. i shouldve entered w/ my TA. then i could say that i got 7th in a F1 race in a street car :ugh2: :booty:

that was a shame, but according to the rules i don’t think they could have done anything else…

2005 F1 rules on tires
A driver may choose from two types of tire, as in 2004. He will then have two sets of his chosen tire, one for Friday and Saturday practice, the other for qualifying and the race. A damaged tyre can be replaced during the race (taken from the first set), but the car cannot be refuelled at the same time as the damaged tire is changed.

I’d be SUPER PISSED if I took off of work, spent the money, traveled from wherever, to watch the race, and 6 cars ran…a guy I know did just that, not only did he take off, he took his one week a year vacation just for this race…:ugh:

… Nhl?

:bowrofl: :bowrofl:

exactly.

:zzz: :hahano: @nhl comments

It’s a shame. Basically came down to Ferrari saying no to the building of a chicane. Kind of a dick move on their part, but I can understand it. Why should they have to change because they are on tires that last? More fake drama than a WWF match… :drama:

I was at the “race” and I must say it was surreal. The weekend was still fun for me but I feel horrible for the for the tens of thousands of fans that traveled from Columbia, Brazil, Europe, etc. who got screwed. As we walked down the steps exiting the grandstand the guy in front of me commented to a guy sitting in the front row with an Irish flag draped over the railing… “I hope you have better luck next year” … the Irishman’s response was simple but it spoke volumes… “4,000 miles”

ya that is such a huge blow to the sport. i used to love open-wheel cars when i was younger, but since then so much crazyness has happened…like IRL and stuff. i dont even know the whole story on the different ‘leagues’. thats not the reason i dont watch it as much, but in general i think any racing w/ those type of cars hasnt been too popular in the US and stuff like what happened this weekend isnt gonna help matters.

Yep…my friend’s highlight wasn’t the race, it was getting to meet Mario Andretti…

He said at least the whole trip wasn’t a bust… :ugh:

The finger pointing will continue for a few weeks but people will forget about most of this in a few weeks. I’ve never been a Tony George fan but I actually feel bad for them (IMS) since they pretty much had nothing to do with the fiasco. Nevertheless, they’re thrown right smack in the middle of it as fans ask for refunds. That said… I expect the USGP will remain in Indy next year and I’ll be there.

Id rather watch 3 open wheel cars race, than watch 50 rednecks in chevy monte carlos race in NASCAR.

I disagree, meeting any Andretti would make it worse…

Sorry, I’m pretty anti Andretti. Both father and son had/have crappy attitudes, one of the reasons Michael was a joke in F1. Also, some have hinted that Mario’s fear of losing the title in 78 led to Ronnie Peterson having to use an older backup car that contributed to his death after the Italian Grand Prix in 78.

I was hoping the Vegas rumors would be true!

Although the most entertaining NASCAR race is coming up, Infineon. I love watching Borris Said and Ron Fellows coming up through the field.

I think a Vegas race would be a mistake. Half the attraction to the current USGP is the facility. I enjoy seeing the speedway as much as I enjoy hearing the engines scream at 19,000 rpm’s. IMO, Vegas would flop just like Long Beach and Watkins Glen.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t think Indy was well suited to F1 at all. The drivers did not seem to like it. I don’t think the issues with Long Beach and Watkins Glen had anything to do with the track itself. The Caesars Palace experiment was just kind of wrong. Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix - eh, not really places I think of when I think F1. I’d like it to go back to Watkins Glen or to a street course. Of course the Glen needs some real updating, I’m tempted to go up to the IRL race…

What we can agree on is that it’s hard to attract a F1 audience here in the US. Mention F1 to just about any person and they look at you like you have two heads. Therefore, I think it’s important to make the “event” as attractive as possible. Holding it at the most famous track in the world is a big step towards that goal.

So would holding it someplace that is also an attraction with something else to do, like Vegas. Not many of my non car peeps would want to go to Indy, but they would go to someplace that has more to offer. I could get a couple of people to go to a race in New York city or Vegas, but no one wants to go to Indy. It’s not like they’ve been setting records with the Indy 500 lately… It took a kind of hot chick to generate any buzz this year.

LB has been a stong race, even with out F1, and it’s not the most famous track in the world. Look at how the IRL and Champcar were fighting over it. It’s sad you need to worry about things other than the track to get people to go to an F1 race, but that’s America for you.

f1 > nascar by a TON!!!