2010 Smithtom RallyX schedule

Here is the official schedule for our 4th season of rally cross at Smithton which is by the intersection of 70 and 51 near Pittsburgh, Pa. Track is easily accessible from the pa turnpike (10 miles from new stanton exit). The track website is www.smithtonraceway.com

If you are ever unsure if we will be racing-- please look on http://rallyeast.com/ or join rally east on facebook. As always, my number is
724 396 one one six nine. Call and ask. My name is Mike.

May 23 Sunday 3pm start

June 27th Sunday 3pm start

July 31st Saturday 6 pm start

August 15th Sunday 3pm start

September 19th Sunday 1pm start

October 9th Saturday 4pm start

November is open. and events will be decided based on interest and weather permitting. nothing set in stone.

As you can see, 2 Saturday and 4 Sunday races scheduled for this year with November onward being weather/interest permitting. Due to the past 3 years track record of being rained out in march/april, May is when we are starting. Also note the earlier start time in the fall.

Gates open 2 hours prior to race time. Always welcome to show early and help pick rocks/track setup. Any and all help is appreciated. People are generally there 3 hours before an event starting to prep the course.

Cost to race is $30 per person or $40 per car (2 people being a car). This is to encourage co-drivers. However, limit is 2 people per car just for time’s sake. As always, spectators are free. You may also take a passenger provided they have a helmet.

a typical event will get at least 8 runs in. each run is anywhere from 90 seconds to 150 seconds long. The number of runs you get a night is directly proportional to the amount of people who show up and how long the course is. Figure on getting at least 16 minutes of actual seat time per event.

classes are split into 4 groups–

2wd (stock)
2wd modified
awd (stock)
awd modified

the difference between the stock and modified classes is basically car prep. the “stock” classes are meant for a car that is relatively bone stock or has minor bolt-ons like intake/header/ exhaust. In addition, if your car is a bone stock turbo car–well you are in stock class then. Unlike previous years, we are not splitting groups based on induction. The modified classes are designed for people who have tires/mods for running in the dirt. I know i am leaving this ambiguous right now. This will be clarified before 1st race. For those familiar with scca’s classification, our stock is equal to scca’s stock and some prepared cars. Our modified will include some prepared cars as well as all scca modified. As always, safety equipment will never push up a class. So if you cage a stock car-- you are still stock.

5 cars make a field. if there is not 5 cars, then combine to make class. example-- 3 2wd and 2 2wd modified-- then they get lumped together for the day.

Points will be awarded for top 5 in each class per race. 1st place in each class at the end of the year will get a nice parting gift. If any company/shop would like to donate a bounty/award toward year end championship prize it would be appreciated. I’m in talks w/ a few clocal shops/companies to sponsor 1 of the 4 classes. Their sponsorship money will be put to use toward year end award.

I’m also working on ideals/awards for individual race winners (such as half-off next race coupon)

1st- 10
2nd-8
3rd- 6
4th- 4
5th- 2

items needed/car prep–

car prep is fairly easy. seat belt (oem is fine, if you run a race belt please mount it properly or it wont pass tech), no loose items, driver wears an approved snell helmet. you are allowed a passenger in front seat–they must have a helmet on as well. I generally have 3 loaner helmets per race if you don’t own one.

windows up or down is the drivers call. just not half way in between. it is asked that you have a little fire extinguisher in your car. they are 10 bucks from walmart and fit nicely in the glove box. just make sure you get one approved for electrical fires too.

as for the car itself–general safety items. no leaking fuel lines, brakes in working order, lugs torqued down, tires not corded, not spewing oil/coolant. other than that, it is a free for all-- anything goes. you are open to mod the car as you wish or leave it as stock as you want. cars need not be inspected and can be towed in.

Trucks are allowed provided they are capable of maneuvering the course and don’t pose a roll over issue. This generally translates to lowered trucks or trucks that have low slung ride heights from the factory like 2wd toyota or s10’s. Granted, if you have an off-road/tough truck w/ crazy suspension then yeah–your truck would be ok. If in doubt, ask. I dont want someone to drive and be told no. However, i really don’t want to see someone roll over.

Mind you, dune buggies can run too. If you are running open cockpit w/ no fender flares-- just make sure you have goggles. Vehicle does not necessarily have to be a road going vehicle. Just safe. if in doubt ask

any questions ask