240 from the States?

I heard something about them having an auto seatbelt set up, thus making them illegal for import here.

I tried searching for more info, but generally only came up with Japanese importing stuff. Does anyone know te truth behind this or is this just another rumour?

It’s true, and even if you do the conversion, it’s still illegal, because you’re not allowed to modify seatbelts.

you can import them if they are 15 years old

its true but i dont understand why, my old mercury villager had auto seat belts, and those where in canada so what the difference, there really is no reason to not allow the import of any vehicle inot the country, i cant imgaine any car from any country being less safe than a motorcycle, the only reason i can see is to protect doemstic amnufactureres but its still stupid

It’s because the auto belts weren’t approved in Canada.
They were either denied due to some aspect of the autobelts specific to the Nissan design or Nissan just figured it wasn’t worth the money to get it checked.

This is also why there are NO 1991-1994 SE-Rs sold here.
(sadly)

There goes that bloody deal. :frowning: Thanks for the info guys!

my car is a 1990, it has auto seatbelts, its from florida, its been here for 10 years. people talk shit lol… its not illegal, saturns and villagers and lots of cars had auto belts in canada.

I’m bloody confused right now. HOw the hell do I verify this??? Will they even know what I’m talking about at the ministry?

It’s not the fact that the actual automatic seat belts are illegal, it’s something about the placement.

This post reminds me of one very similar to this… gone to search.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. It’s not the fact that they are passive restraints (auto belts) in themselves. It has to do with the location of the seatbelt anchor. In Nissans, it does not meet Standard 210 of the CMVSS. In other vehicles, it does.

Spilner, as far as I’m concerned, your case was an exception and you got off lucky- customs are idiots for the most part and it’s the same reason that you see “legally” registered R33s drivin around.

So, unless the vehicle is 15years or older (to the build month) at the time of import, it has to abide by RIV and Transport Canada admissability and safety regulations respectively.

Spilner’s car is ILLEGAL, if you want to screw him over then just report his car to the Ministry.

It states:
Admissable
NISSAN/INFINITI ALL 1989 TO 2005 MODELS
EXCEPT THOSE LISTED IN THE
INADMISSIBLE COLUMN

Inadmissable:
1991 TO 1994 SENTRA WITH PASSIVE
RESTRAINT SYSTEM
1989 TO 1991 240SX WITH PASSIVE
RESTRAINT SYSTEM.
1992 240SX CONVERTIBLE
(See Notes)
Notes:
Vehicles equipped with passive restraints do not
meet CMVSS 210, seat belt anchorage location
requirements. Passive restraints are identified as
either a motorized upper torso restraint or door
mounted 3-point restraint.

http://www.riv.ca/ for more info.

my van has auto seatbelts and its a 95 nissan quest, is that illegal? or is it only 240 auto seatbelt illegal

this car is a 93…what are the differences???

None. And for future reference, one question mark works as well as four :wink:

jsp3c your quest is legal because it was made for this market and passed whatever standards they had at the time. The USDM 240SX did not, hence the manual seatbelts.

Am I supposed to believe this or should it have been updated?

Just call them and they will tell you.
The number is on the website I put at the bottom

Am I supposed to believe this or should it have been updated?[/quote]

Of course you are supposed to believe it, it’s the law. the RIV is contracted by the gov’t to keep track of imported cars.

It just doesn’t make sense as you’re telling me there is no diference…on that link i clearly states (I highlighted it) that only 1989- 1991 cars were inadmissable.

Am I blind?

Maybe give them a call. The reason for it is the seatbelts, and the 1992-1993 have the same thing. Maybe you’re right and it’s just an error… or maybe they’ll let you bring it in on account of their mistake (so long as you dont tell them about it)

OH… SHITBALLS!

ah well just dont tell on me haha. the cops will never figure it out, i’ll do the conversion and nobody will know the diff.

but hey, if its illegal how it is, i might as well do the 4 point harnesses eh.