Importing car from the states?

I am looking for a new car and found a 240sx in Cali that I would like to buy. I was wondering if I am going to have any problems bringing it over the border though? The car has an sr20det swap, which is my main concern. I know that the cars coming in from Japan have sr/ca, but it isn’t the original engine that the car came with. At the same time though, there are cars coming in from Japan with rb swaps, so I am really unsure if this would be an issue or not. Other than that, the car is only mildly modified. It has an exhaust, downpipe, intake, and some suspension. Nothing crazy. I know I will need to find some DTRL and a cat but other than that would I be good? Is the fact that the car is swapped going to cause an issue? Thanks.

check to see if it has automatic seat belts … i dont know if 240’s had them or not but it wont be legal up here if it did.

other than that i dont think u should have any problems. make sure the border guards know you’re coming to save yourself a few hours.

and have alllll the paper work done u should be okay.

I believe that all US S13’s had auto seatbelts. I would definatly be ditching them for manual seat belts anyways.

So from doing A little reading, I need a copy of the title present at the border crossing 72 hours before I get there. Would I just get the seller to fax it to the necessary crossing and then have the original title with me when I come across?

I dont know if I would trust the seller to fax the papers I would go to a Staples or Kinkos and fax them yourself. At the boarder they dont look under your hood and inspect your car they just make sure your paperwork is in order then take your $$$. Before getting the car registered it will have to pass an Out of Country inspection and an out of Province inspection. As long as the swap is done properly and its not a safety hazard it should pass.

www.riv.ca. Go to the source. Everything you need to know about importing is there. For example, the only 240sx that is not allowed is the 92 convertible.

I believe if they are over 15 years of age you can bring them in like Japanese laws if I’m not mistaken?

Bump for this advice. Me and my father were both considering importing a car each. He showed me that site and it has everything you need to know.

The only thing im unclear on is how you register it once youre there so you can drive it back.

Seems like quite a pain though. By the time you mess around with hotels and fees and crap youre going to be spending quite a bit.

I believe if they are over 15 years of age you can bring them in like Japanese laws if I’m not mistaken?[/quote]

He didn’t specify year in his initial post.

You don’t. You get insurance from your insurance company here and just like when you buy a vehicle here and purchase an “in transit” registraition you can do that there. Some guys, myself included, just drive the car back with valid insurance and the existing plates on the car. In the US, the plates go with the car.

[quote=“MyGTR”]

In the US, the plates go with the car.[/quote]

Ah good to know. Thanks man.

So you’ve done this then i take it? So did it actually end up being a pain overall? How much did you have to pay extra including duties, taxes, fees etc. in total? What did you import?

I bought my car in Georgia there the plate stays with the owner.

I just used an Alberta plate off of one of my other cars(in Alberta you have 30days from date of purchase to get you car registered). I had insurance and a current Alberta plate and I did get stopped by the Police in Montana I showed them the bill of sale the insurance and the old registration they were good with that. Make sure you a few hundred dollars cash on you if you are speeding they make you pay cash on the spot.

[quote=“350GT”]

I bought my car in Georgia there the plate stays with the owner.

I just used an Alberta plate off of one of my other cars(in Alberta you have 30days from date of purchase to get you car registered). I had insurance and a current Alberta plate and I did get stopped by the Police in Montana I showed them the bill of sale the insurance and the old registration they were good with that. Make sure you a few hundred dollars cash on you if you are speeding they make you pay cash on the spot.[/quote]

Ya I think it depends on the state. I am pretty sure california cars keep the plates.

When I bought my roadster in Seattle I did the Alberta plate thing like you did.

I believe it is only 14 days to get a vehicle registered, not 30. Irregardless though, it shouldn’t take that long to get the vehicle back, inspected, and registered.