Import from the U.S.

I figured I’d post this here since it is Nissan specific. I wasn’t able to gather much information after scanning through old posts on 780, but I’d like to see if anyone knows here about the specifics of bringing up a vehicle from the U.S. Lets assume its a clean running, mint, mid 90’s (94+) 240SX. Does anyone know any general problems people are faced with while bringing cars into Canada along these lines? I hear daytime running lights may be an obstacle, but generally if the papers are in order its not a terribly huge ordeal (other than worry about safe shipment for the vehicle).

Thoughts, Comments?

illegal because of the mechanical seat belts.

get a 95+ 240 for like 7 grand down inthe states instead.

Yeah, thats what i meant by 94+. The only reason i say any of this is because jsut by crusing though U.S. based 240 forums, their marketplace section is flooded with near mint cars, almost half kouki for around 10k CDN. Perhaps im missing something important, but to me, if you can put up with customs and it’s not a huge hassle to get it across, the reward appears to be pretty great.

It’s a bit of a problem unless the car you are importing is older than 15 years. It depends on where the 240’s are manufactured - if they’re made in Japan then that adds another monkey wrench into the mix.

Here’s an article about the specifics:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

Not bad of a read. I was under the impression the vast majority of the s14’s were made in Japan. Even if they aren’t, if I brought one up, it doesn’t seem theres much room for mistakes at customs. I would imagine most of the cars would pass the test, although im unsure of what the emmissions actually are…or how they are tested. I did however check Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles page and after alot of looking, the chart did say All Nissan/Infiniti models from 90-05 are admissable other than the 240’s with the sliding door belts…which wont be a problem with the s14’s. Judging from that, even assuming the car was manufactured in Japan, it has to be US regulations legal, already have day time running lights, and it seems that as long as your papers and payment are in order, not a whole lot else is there to do.

Surely someones tried this before aorund here, right?

best bet for a S13 is buy a wrecked one in canada. buy a S13 in the states and swap, all the belts, warning lables speedo’s.etc etc… since im having a hard time finding a coupe here i think i will get my dad to pick me one up down there and buy a parts car here and swap and import. easiest way IMO.

but the car is still illegal.

Check this out!!

http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565&highlight=us

What I went thru!!

Any 240sx from 92 - 2005 is admissible except for the 92 convertible!! The problem was with the 89 and 91 versions that had the automatic seatbelts.

the probelm would be with insuring and registering it right?

like would there be a problem getting it across the border if you went through those trucking companies?

i was just reading the list of admissable cars on riv.gov.ca this is what it said

90-91 240sx with passive restaint system
1992 240sx convertable(see notes)

Notes - vehicles equipted with passive restraints do not meet cmvss210, seat belt anchorage location requirements.Passive restraints are identified as either motorized upper torso restraint or dorr mounted 3-point restraint.

I does’nt mention 93 or 94 nissan 240sx’s. At least thats how i understood it.

Also if the car was accepted into the country it really not that hard to have it inspected and registered , unless the car is a bag of bolts.

the probelm would be with insuring and registering it right?

like would there be a problem getting it across the border if you went through those trucking companies?

The problem would be registering it. You would need the Import papers for the car, which the RIV will not give if you. Unless your car is admissible.

You can import any 240sx from 92 - 2005 except for the 92 convertible from the US. The only place in Alberta that does Federal Inspections here of all places is Canadian Tire.

Things appear to be not as terrible as i originally thought now that i read on. The 1995-98 240’s are indeed admissable. Seems that if you are very prepared at the border all will go well. I did run into this however…

Import Fees

Vehicles that are eligible for importation will be subject to import levies including customs duty and GST. Customs duty is generally based on the price paid for the vehicle and the percentage rate of duty varies depending on the vehicle’s country of origin. For example, a vehicle imported from the U.S. that was manufactured in the U.S. is duty-free. However, a British-built car imported from the U.S. is subject to a duty of 6.1 per cent, the same rate applied to British vehicles imported directly from Britain.

If your collector car has air conditioning, working or not, you will pay an excise tax of $100. There are additional levies if your vehicle weighs more than 2,007 kilograms (4,425 pounds).

Finally, GST will be charged at the rate of seven per cent of the total of the purchase price plus the customs levies.

This would make me think that if the s14 was originally manufactuared in Japan im in for another bum rush of fee’s. Therefor my last question to you Nissan boys is: What is the main origin of s14’s? At this point i’d be more than happy to here the United States as things would be much more doable.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a car from the states??? I noticed the prices around here were pretty ridiculous so I ended up getting mine from Ontario. Car was $8500.00 and shipping from Toronto to Calgary was $900.00 and I think it is pretty damn mint. I may be a little biased though. Have a look:
http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731

There is quite a few for sale down there and the only extra fee is a $100 out of province inspection. Just a thought for you.

Nice find on that zenki, reasonable value as well, but the reason i’m interested in a car from the U.S. is: Kouki. For example, http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51441 . You try finding that in Canada for under, what…18-20k? Entices me quite a bit.

http://www.trader.ca/WestHillAuto/Default.asp?Trader=1&CAT=1&mknm=745&Region=-1&adid=2539835&dContact=534323&VLot=/WestHillAuto&ADS=2539835|&SRVlot=1&SRslts=1&category=1&makeid=745&modelcode=18497&len1=0&len2=0&mknm=745&mdnm=240SX&Region=-1&subcategory=&alpha=#

It’s an auto but that’s easy to take care of… you just have to know where to look. Hell, I’d go buy it if I didn’t have mine already. And for the tranny…

Thats exactly the thing i dont want. For that money you can get a mint Kouki. Or almost 2 zenkis down there. I personally think that value is horrible. The hassle of importing is worth saving 5-10k, i think. After seeing how badly inflated CAD prices are for s14’s, I would definatly shy away from most prices unless it was exeptional.

Are you looking at the same car as me??? That is a fully loaded black '97 kouki with only 87,000 kms and warranty for $10,900 and the one you posted works out to just over $10,2 with 186,000 kms and border fees and the hassle of getting it up from the states. I am not trying to be rude in any way I just want to make sure the link is taking you to the right car because after shipping and fees you will be paying more for the one that you posted than the black one.

Wow, I can actually say no, i wasnt looking at the same link, I accidently clicked one on another forum thinking it was this. Anyways, touche Ontario. I agree thats a good find, but being not overly knowledgable in engines and lacking major funds for a swap of any magnatude, that specific example might not swing in my favor, but I understand what you’re getting at. More or less that in a 5spd would be fantastic…not to mention shipping and such would be immensely easier. Eastern Canada, good to know.