3" Exhaust too big?

here you go

there should be a lot more posts about this. this topic has been beaten to death. Just go 3 inch.

this is a video with a 3" catback on an s14 with a stock ka24de and an aem intake

http://media.putfile.com/S14snowsidewaydec05

keep in mind im not going over ~3500rpm

Finished up the 3" cat back :stuck_out_tongue: I have the 3" inlet megan muffler with a silencer and theres deffinatly more power. I didnt tighten my silencer and lost it so i drove a bit with it out… 8) I looove the sound without the silencer and theres a noticable amount of power with the silencer out vs with it in. Its not any louder with the silencer in VS my old muffler which was a crappy tire version DTM or w/e they call it…the kind that comes out and angles up…i just cut it so it was a dual kinda thing no gayness. i love it and would recomend it…not not if ur going for a SQ system or really have those deep down convos with ur mates…cuz its pretty loud in the car and i feel the backfiring a LOT with 3" piping under me. It doesnt bother me but may bother other people.
-Devin

Aw crap I’m too late.

I was going to post *DOOOOONNNNNTTTTTT DOOO ITT!"

I’ve got 3" all the way back and it’s the worst thing I ever did to my car. I lost ~75K per tank of gas mileage and my car is even slower than it was before.

People say you’ll lose in the low end and gain in the high - in my case I stayed the same in the high and lost a LOT in the low end. full 3" + header = CRAP on stock KA

But, if you like the sound of rice (serach for my I hate RS*R thread hehe) and don’t care about gas mileage and a slow car - do it.

I guess like a lot of guys here said if you’re going to go turbo eventually it’s worth it – but probably more worth it to just wait until you go turbo.

I noticed a little more pep…but i dont have headers. The only thing that i noticed that slowed me down was oem 7spokes with beefy tires which i did 3 days after the exhaust. but i deffinatly had a small gain, quite noticable with the silencer out rather than with it in. Im running sohc are you with the dohc?
-Devin

I had a 3 inch exhaust and went back to stock, traded with D Fresh. I can’t tell you about the power but it wasn’t that bad just a bit loud.

I like an exhaust that’s loud when you WOT or like over 4k RPM, the thing I didn’t like about the 3 inch that it’s loud as hell even if you’re just going slowly in traffic shifting at 2.5k… or when you cruise on the highway @ 3k you gotta turn up your music a lot lol.

That being said I do miss it a lil, stock exhaust is a wee bit quiet. I think something with 2.5 piping would be ideal.

Also Jammin I didn’t really pay attention to milage but I’ve read on the other forum (someone posted a link in this thread I think) that their milage actually improved…

I have a 2.5 inch exhaust on my car, and it give the perfect sound all the way from idle to 6000 rpm’s.

All I needed to see was…

3" is too big. You will lose power with no back-pressure like that, and it will be absurdly loud.

ENOUGH BULLSHIT…

if you want a quiet 3inch exhaust na or turbo grab an exhuast off bing, cheap and has built in resonator and is one of the best i have heard.

its all in the metal and the muffler design which makes the exhuast tone.

i have had 5 exhuast setups on my car. stock, stock with muffler, 3inch steel gp sports no resonator, 2.25 with oem style muffler with holes, and a stainless 3inch exhuast with built in resonator.

my 3inch stainless with resonator sounds the same as my stock with resonator and a fart muffler.

lol even with turbo the car is still loud as hell, ive got a 3" turbo back on my sr and yes the turbo makes it sound sweet. It might be a tad quieter, but not enough for you to notice, just sounds a lot better.

I had my apex’i GT spec on my old 240 with a KA. 3.78 inch piping, now THAT was loud.

i had no exhaust on my gino

that was loud

you can run 3’ pipinp. but there is a way to bring down the noise. you’ll have to put a resonator somewhere along your exhaust. it’s not going to effect the flow but it will bring down the noise. i have on my SR if your just crusin around it’s pretty quiet. but when you get into it then you get that nice deep sound

im running off the header on my accord daily driving it

for the past few months

ur a bunch of pussys

Try running a streetport rotary, no diffusers, on open dual 2.25" headers exiting in 2.5" beside the tranny. No mufflers, no cats, nothing.

A guy threatened to smash my windshield with a tow chain, waved it in my face and told me to stop “ripping around”. I was travelling up the driveway at 1500rpm. Now THAT was loud!

Anyways, the point was not so much that you can’t make 3" exhaust on an NA engine quiet, or that it would sound bad, but more that you will not be gaining any power. In fact there’s a good chance you may stand to lose a bunch.

anyone running with a catback 3" on the N/A WITH a resonator and no silencer…? if i drop a resonator in there maybe i can take out the silencer which produces that gay ricer tonne. Now even ebay doesnt have 3" resonators…i have one small one that would work on the stock header but can a mig weld to the cast/forged header…? or w/e its made of. Im not even sure if its a smart idea to throw a resonator on the actual header? Ideas guys…seems like the best route is chop my 3" back off and run it right from the header from everyones inputs :roll: Hmm…
-Devin

your best bet is to keep that exhaust aside for when u put in a sr

put in a 2.5" exhaust with a cat and no resonater…cuz ur a running a SOHC…MAYBE if u had a dohc ur 3 inch wouldent be so bad,but ur sohc doesint have enough exhaust flow to exit the 3 inch in time so the conclusion here is there simply is not enough presure in ur WHOLE exhaust setup the exhaust is trying to leave faster then the gas can get in :shock: …so i would say u would lose tons of low end and gain alot mid-high range because ur engine is at way more rpm so the exhaust will exit normaly as if it were 2.5.

i had a tanabe racing medallion exhaust system mounted on 3" piping with a high flow cat,and that wasint pretty even with the cat,not to mention noise,neibours,cops…

dude take off ur exhaust and keep it for ur sr.

other than that…good luck with the neibours and tha po-poeeeessss :twisted:

Werd…

Currently Rockin N/A with a 4" Titanium Exhaust Loud and Obnoxious as all hell,
neighbours say it sounds like Satin driving down the street! Oh how I love it![/quote]

true say it shook the mazda at idle, and then shook it harder when you did a burnout infront of me inbetween 2 transport trucks 8)

i ran open turbo for about a week and a half…you guys have nothing except for sasha who did the same

i ripped it 1 km away from my friends house up a hill and he said it sounded like a f1 car

then i passed my friend with his window down at 7300 rpm then hit the limiter and he said it sounded like the world was comming to an end.

lost alot of power though

i hate being too lazy to install my downpipe

i ran open header down my gfs street and her mom hated me for a while, escpecially since i keep doing 180’s on her driveway in the snow :twisted: cause im too lazy to back in