3" Exhaust too big?

While the cars being stored i have plans on putting and header back exhaust on it. i inherited 3" piping with all sorts of bends from a beer factory so their all stainless. My car is not forced induction. What do i risk running 3"? as for the muffler i was going to go with a turbo exhaust from megan with 3" inlet. Down the road i more than likley will go SR so having this done now will pay off. Does anyone think i can get away with just a megan muffler? What would you recomend between the megan muffler and header? Only thing there is my test pipe. I hate cops i kno almost everyone does thats why i need the exhaust sumwhat quiet until i open it up :twisted: Im going to be driving with the KA for a while before SR. Again what i want to kno is the pros and cons of running 3" from header back with the KA and how to keep the cops off my rear end.

A 3" with headers on a KA will be loud as hell! And you will lose a little bottom end… but gain a litle top end.

3" on any non-turbo car will be VERY loud.
If you don’t want any chance of cop trouble, dont put it on a ka.

Thats way too big if you are concerned with sound. Overall, Its just a bad idea to put a 3-inch system on an NA car. Dont do it.

it’s loud…extremely loud, and i think none of these guys have experienced it to know actually how loud it is.

I couldn’t hear my passenger unless they yelled at me, i woke-up the neighbourhood when i entered it, you could litterally hear the car a mile away. As far as torque goes, i didn’t notice to much of a loss, but the car hauled asss from 4500-7500.

I think it all depends which 3" exhaust you’ll put on… my RSR Exmag is not really that loud… it’s louder than stock, but definitely not as loud as some other 3" exhausts out there… The reason why it’s not so loud is because it has a huge muffler in the back…
Most aftermarket exhausts I’ve seen have a tiny muffler in the back and they are loud as hell.
Do your research on which exhaust to use… my advice is to get one with 2.25"-2.5" piping… but like I said, it all depends on the muffler you use.

If you get something like this, it will definitely be loud… especially with bigger piping…
http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/website%20GT%202.5%20muffler.jpg

Go with 2.5" streight threw, its what i have on my car with pacesetter headers, Its loud as hell, sounds good but loud no sneaking around, dropping the girl off i have to clutch in and coast, havnt been pulled over yet eather (knock on wood) didnt notice much tourqe loss but yeah at the top end it rips like crazy.

3 would just be loud and dumb

Agreed. 2.25-2.5" is all you will EVER need on an NA 2.4L 4-cylinder, and that’s borderline overkill already.

I drove around for a season on streetport 1.3L rotary with 2" headers into 2.5" straight back with a pre-silencer and a magnaflow muffler, and it was NOT quiet.

As for when i go SR is this setup going to be better performing than it would if i had the SR and 2.5" piping? Ive heard when turbo and choosing pipe diameter the skys the limit…which i belive is sumwhat a myth. As for having 3" right now on the KA with the megan turbo muffler and a test pipe are their any effective ways of making the exhaust quieter? Im looking at getting a megan turbo muffler with a silencer like the M-N1 Turbo Muffler. http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8288/new20n120iii5qf.th.jpg I might give this setup a go if its far too loud and i cant tone it down without hacking sections out having 2 mufflers or sumthing stupid ill save it for when i go SR. As for this setup with SR am i still looking at a few tickets for unnecessary noise? If i should be worried about this i might not bother with this project.
-Devin

go 3" its fine do it once and do it right

who owns a 240sx and dosnt eventually go turbo

Werd…

Currently Rockin N/A with a 4" Titanium Exhaust Loud and Obnoxious as all hell,
neighbours say it sounds like Satin driving down the street! Oh how I love it!

Werd…

Currently Rockin N/A with a 4" Titanium Exhaust Loud and Obnoxious as all hell,
neighbours say it sounds like Satin driving down the street! Oh how I love it![/quote]

agreed. Im running 3inch into a tanabe with silencer and its not loud at all. power gains through out the entire band man.

Headers make a 3" ALOT louder then with out. Jammin1911 has a 3" RSR Exmag with headers… its ridiculously loud.

‘The Slut’ isn’t that bad on my car :wink: Its only loud as hell when you honk on it. Inside, its loud as hell only cos I have no interior. Low end tq is useless as it is, so the movement of the curve into the higher RPMs is better. 8)

You want to see low end tq. loss try running nissan motorsports
248/248 cams on a N/A Setup, No Intake (Im running a MAP)
and a 4" Exhaust with a base timing of 18deg tuned for a turbo.

3" is not bad at all I have one on my car 3" cat back. the real PROBLEM with people and 3" exhausts is they remove factory cats and dont put in resinators. If you have the cat and a good resinator in the exhaust it will sound just fine like mine.

You guys have been a awesome help! So 3" it shall be. Ive been working as a automotive installer at car decor garage for a few months and the guy i work for there told me im going to see more power throughout lower rpms and loose power at higher rpms due to the lack of backpressure which the engine needs. If thats completly true thats awesome id much rather have the power in the 0-60 range rather than 120-180 kinda thing. Ive also done a bit of research and a bigger exhaust means the exhaust temp will be cooler…cooler air is more dense meaning the dense air is going to be harder to move throughout the exhaust system which slows down the speed that the exhaust can get from the engine out threw the muffler. Pheww…Sounds like it makes sence but i honestly dont kno. 1/2 the stuff on the net is bull. Whats everyones thoughts on where im going to gain my power most? If you could state why you know this maybe we could all educate ourselves :wink: Since not everyone knows everything *cough cough like some people may think… :evil: Thanks guys
-Devin

Other way 'round mate. Lower backpressure means less power in the low end.

just do a quick search on zilvia bunch of guys who run 3 inch with NA. All have claims of power gains through out the entire band. there are dyno results and what not as well. don’t worry about the techno mumbo jumbo. Go by what’s been done and proven.

Thanks Skinny :wink: I try not to belive anything unless its proven. Its got to be the best way to get threw life. Some people i can take their word for but unless u or i can really prove what your saying is tru its complete :bsflag: 8) Thats the spirit i want to see!
-Devin