300zx Brake conversion

1. OP said he’s gonna stay away from the car?
    2)Wilwoods are race pads/calipers (unless they have a “street” version, not sure) but if that’s the case, have fun warming up your brakes all the time. No problems with that with Z brakes.
  2. I’ve seen amateur road-racers (don’t get me wrong, amateur still are up to spec with rule books, caged, etc.) run z-brakes so there should be no problem.
    4)my personal experience: this was my brake setup on my old s14 --> stock BMC (non-abs), SS lines all around, Z-brakes all around (with e-brake proper), EBC GD (dimple and slotted) rotors, Hawk HP+ pads it and it was phenomenal and almost overkill with braking, a few that have driven my car can vouch for this. “lol ka…slowlsowlso brake WTFFFFFFFFFFUU”

unless this is a full-time race car I don’t see the need for wilwood bbk. I wouldn’t mind giving the wilwood BMC a shot though.

^absolutely right… the Z32 set up comes off a car with DOUBLE the horsepower and 1000LBS EXTRA weight…

more than adequate with the right pads/rotors for 240sx abuse…

research… really, I’ve researched (read) enough of your posts to realize your never wrong, shit he should try taurus brakes…

{EDIT} upon further research it would seem wilwood does not offer a "rear Kit’ so yeah $1200 for less than 1/2 of a braking system

how could I know what tire you rock, put your ego away little man…

I have a set of Wilwoods for my MK3 supra, $1200USD +shipping+ taxes, rears I will get later at $1600 USD + shipping + taxes
then I will need a more appropriate master cylinder so, yeah in this example its $3000, 4 corners + master, the 240sx will be comparable unless you are buying second hand, used or some other method…

mk3; links…

rear $1600
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?72806-MKIII-Wilwood-12.9-quot-Rear-Brakes-With-Parking-Brake.

front $1200
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?27659-MKIII-Wilwood-13-inch-4-piston-front-brakes

the first upgrade I did to my S13 (going back to 2003?) was rather than have my rear calipers rebuilt and rotors replaced for a second time was going Z32 brake upgrade… well worth it. and yes they came from a junkyard

personally I think its silly to just upgrade the fronts to “whoa-momma’s” and leave the solid disc in the rear…

for the OP; The Definitive 300ZX Brake Swap - importnut.net

how about 300zx rear and big brake kit up front? someone i know shaved off 1,5 seconds on mosport switchiong from 300zx all around to 300sx rear and brembo grans tursimo kit up front with drilled rottors all around

makes sense, considering your fronts do majority of the braking. Too many other factors to consider to be able to say “wilwoods bbk in front made me 1.5 sec faster”

witch would you say to go with in your opinion willwood or brembo?

I have no personal experience so I can’t say.
What I’ve heard though, is Wilwood is the “budget race” gear, bang for your buck.
However, brembo IS the supplier for a lot of “sports/high-end” cars from factory for their brake setups (Evo9 Brembos, GTR Brembos, STI Brembos, etc.)

Wilwood makes a “superlite” kit which is quite a bit lighter than most 4 pot aftermarket kits. You’d save about 25 pounds wilwood vs evo9/sti brembo and about 19 pounds wilwood vs z32 alum 30mm. It’s a 12.2" two piece rotor which is quite cost effective in comparison to evo9/sti brembo rotors. So, if you were considering the superlite kit, it is definitely a much better option than a brembo package off STI or evo9 cost/weight wise, and I doubt you would notice the difference in stopping power/heat dissipation.

That being said, wilwood does not make a rear brake kit for s-chassis application. So, if you want a four corner brake kit that was engineered to be used as a package, you’re singled down to selecting a brembo kit, or you could just buy the z32 kit which is more than enough for a 2700 pound car. All of this has been stated already in this thread though.

The problem with the wilwood kit, is that it is not readily available used, since it never came stock on a car. Brembo kits are available all the time because evo9 and sti owners upgrade frequently. Before you order one of those kits, I really REALLY think you should find a friend with four corner z32’s, and go for a test drive. It’s ridiculous. If you do choose the z32’s and you want that big brake look, you could always change the fronts to 350z rotors.

A pretty good write up (for a US forum group buy) on the wilwood superlite kit: http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=2789

No point spending extra on stop tech or brembo… wilwoods do a mighty fine job. Secondly rear brakes being upgraded are not as necessary. The front is what matters.

Oh and I didn’t buy them for the ‘looks’.

300zx with HP+ pads had good braking ability and didnt rape the rotors, but it overheated/faded way too easily. With the wilwood setup i had, better braking, no noise, rotors went through 2+ years and constant track use. Still felt as good as new. It was and is one of the best upgrades i did on my 240. The rear upgrade was a bit too much and therefore i use a proportioning valve to adjust brake bias… still cool to toy with that and cause rear lockups for drifts haha… not smart.

Since most people are after ‘looks’ then like someone said 350z rotors and 300zx calipers and what have u may be ur ticket… i wouldnt waste my money on all that… i only ever cared about performance on my car.

did you play with different rotor and pad combos?

with the 300zx setup.