350SX no joke!! it can and will be done...check this out

^^^

Yup. 7.2L

Man those motors are beasts.

My friend has built one for his 69 Charger. Makes about 600whp with stock iron heads.

It also has been reduced to about the same rotating weight as a 340.

BRUTAL power delivery, instant throttle repsonse, it will break loose at highway speed if you kick it down.

Nothing like doing a 60 MPH burnout.

i wanna see this at the meet as promise.

just another quick update, i’ve done some actual research and found out some pretty helpful stuff. this is a much more common swap than i thought. the engine i’m putting in only weighs 24 pounds more than the KA which i can deal with. and I’m not sure who said that this car will only be good for drag racing is full of it. There is no doubt in my mind that this car will be a drift machine. my kaaz diff has been previously broken in with my KA and i have no doubts that it will be able to handle the power…till next time, keep the comments pumpin

a car is only a drift machine if the driver is a drift maniac

Why cheap out? If your goin V8 do it right
572 chev crate motor with a 8-71 blower

somethin like these
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=C7BF2E28-32E7-4904-B5F9-F3D0275DC7D8&p=2
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=C34026ED-F6B4-4631-BE72-4B92C29802F6&p=4

well sasha you’ve obviously never seen me drift with my extremely under powered KA, needless to say you’ll here my name poping up in drift events more and more…not sure if your serious about the 572 but thats just a little overboard, 350hp is just right i would have to say…although blown would be pretty sweet

572 is not enough
NEEDS TO BE BOOSTED TOO

or maybe somehting like codington put into that 63 vette>
that motor made 1200hp… at 0psi.
it had twin gt40somethin or others.
it was suposed to be 2400hp at 30psi.
that would be suffecient for a s chassis.

i dont even know your name

Sufficient for what? Turning it into a pretzel?

lol for the word “FAST”

Just because I can …

FYI, an SR20DET and a 289 V8 are essentially exactly the same width/length/weight

I have both sitting on the floor at MSSC, and the V8 would easily fit in any Nissan chassis we have there, S12/14/Z31 etc all it would take are a set of custom mounts.

225hp/305 lb-ft … stock.

cam/lifter kit > $150
Intake manifold > $150
Carb > $160

For near 300 wheel hp and a bunch of torque with isntant throttle response.

For under $500, no fuel management needed (richer, turn screw on carb left, leaner, right … if that’s not enough, rejet for 50¢)

Stay tuned to see where it ends up :wink:

And it’ll be nice and rumbly.

Man, ive bin thinking ! to do that swap too. big dumb v8 with 5sp and side pipes … cool and eazy ,parts are cheap …eazy for me . there will be a lot of custom fab work , cut, design , welding, custom fitted drive line, car reinforced, all the muffler piping…ect… its not a lot of money for the power, it the fab work… and gas$$$ good thing im a custom fab man.
fun swap, its got to be done right… good luck … fast frank

There’s really not that much fab work to do.

With the stock 2-piece Nissan mounts, you can fairly easily make a new top piece for the mount. Tranny mount is as simple as bolting it to the tranny first, figuring out where/if it lines up with the frame. A tranny mount is never much more than a flat bar with ears even if you have to make one.

What’s more important is the selection of the parts in the first place. GM 350s are big, wide, and heavy. They also don’t make much power without serious mods. What you gain in displacement, you lose in design.

Ford V8s don’t make much power either, but they do respond very well. Their biggest advantage is their light weight and compact design and ability to rev. That and the fact I had a vintage '68 289 V-8 at my disposal, plus the ease of installation made the decision pretty simple.

Mopar small blocks are also light and small, but they are quite tall. The V design is much more drastic, so while they are narrow cylinder head to cylinder head, they’re not exaclty compact. But they are also light weight, and respond VERY well to modifications. The Mopar wedge head flows really well and can easily accept a .500" + lift cam with stock valvetrain. It’s dead simple to make 400 hp out of a 360. Literally carb, cam+intake+headers = 400 whp. But the 360 is a long stroke small block, so it is a torque motor. Won’t rev out like a 318 (undersquare) or even a 340 (square) … but will pull a house off its foundations.

I wanted an 8 that would rev though. Too much torque in something light sucks the fun out of driving it. The 289 also only needs 3 wires to start … 2 of which are from the battery.

No lake pipes though … that’s always been just a bit too white-trash fantasy for me. Plus burning the backs of your calves every time you get in or out of the car sucks balls.

You’d be surprised how much room/weight a modern DOHC 4 or 6 cylinder takes up. What people often don’t consider with this whole “V8s are too heavy, will throw off your weight balance” nonsense is exactly how much extra weight is in the engine bay. Air boxes, computers, accessories, wiring, relays, fuel rail, injectors, charcoal canister, EGR etc.