3M Paint Protection Film

Does anyone have this stuff on there car? I am just wondering what car guys think of this product. Every NASCAR has it on it and Porsche’s (not sure if all of them do) come from the factory with it on the lower rear wheel wells to avoid rock chips.
It looks a whole lot better than hood bra in my mind so I’m thinking about getting my car detailed and then throw it on hood, front fenders and mirrors.

I know someone who just got the plotter to cut these and distribution in NY state. Right now his plans are to only sell to dealers, but I could talk to him if there is interest in a group buy or something like that. (of course he would be a sponsor before doing something like that)

i have it on the lotus. factory installed. It stops little chips but there are a few that still chipped the paint, and now the chip is under the film and can’t be touched up.

but i’d recommend it.

I have on one mine. Custom application 8M thick. I would not recommend doing it yourself if you have never done it. It’s the best investment and guaranteed 6 years.

speaking of which, I’m taking a road trip down to NC in a week in the Goat.

any idea of where I can get that clear bra stuff (supposed to be like a suran wrap film you can put on the front end to avoid chips and shit)?

^you can buy them pre-cut online for your vehicle. They vary in thickness.

:tup: thank you sir

the problem with the online pre-cut ones is that installation is pretty difficult to get right the first time on many cars (they have a 1-5 rating scale). Typically you do not have the process down until your 30th install.
So you risk screwing up the first one you order and then hiring someone to do it the second time.

I have it on my Evo, Nick did it for me. Cheap! Toadstudio.net
Not sure if hes a member or not on nyspeed

Some “must have tools” steamer, soapy water and a plastic scrubber…takes time!!! and lots of it.

pretty sure im a member. here.

I would suggest it to anyone who likes their paint pretty.

search its been covered a bunch of times.

I custom make every clear chip guard install i do.

I have had it on my wrx for 5 years now. Subaru Paint is the Suck.

The job is quite time consuming & the material is not cheap.

can it be applied with soapy water/squeegee

Yes, however…depending on the thickness of the film…the steamer makes this material very manageable…a thick film, add steam and it makes it flimsy as saran wrap…then you can move it and apply it as it should be. It makes the film clingy too.

ive never tried a steamer but we have one here at our shop. it sounds like a good idea. I usually just use a simple heat gun to stretch the film & dry the area that needs help.

Steamer is MUCH better. Dont use the heatgun. I got my steamer at walmart for $28 and it worked great! I learned this from the guy who did my car in Burlington.

we have a Upholstery steamer for industrial use. ill try it. thanks for the tip. it would make sense its for stretching vinyl for convertible tops. Keeps the adhesive wet & at a constant temp. Heat guns can melt stuff.

now your thinking:D

My bad Nick. Havent seen you post or maybe I’m just getting old.
I’m glad I got it done cause Ive noticed that the side skirts have alot of nics and scuffs on them. I hit a cone at Autox a few weeks back, glad I got the Auto X special on the front bumper :headbang: