4/30 fair weather drivers come out and play

That course looked like LOADS of fun.

I may have to get some tires now.

It was a riot, i had a great time. Im surprised the video camera guy didnt show up at the other end of the course though.

First one to pit manouver that fool in the caddy wins, atleast then his camera would be gone. I assume the state trooper was called by him?

From what i heard the troopers were called by campus security to get rid of him. I didn’t notice them showing up however. They should have tried to run through the course in the patrol car.

They showed up during the Fun Runs IIRC. We were picking up helmets and cruised by one in the grid area. Would’ve been SWEET if they had done a lap or two.

Fun course. Had to stop driving in “pussy” mode after the first two runs. :smiley:

Some things I noticed about safety since I some what got to step back and watch an event this time. This is nothing against anyone, I know I’ve made the same mistakes. I think stepping back and not working safety for an event gave me a good perspective this time though.

1. Starter is a key worker position, and should only be staffed by experienced people at locations like NCCC. When explaining that they have to launch a car by the time the first car gets to a certain section you also have to explain that if that first car is a really slow novice to say the hell with getting 3 cars on course at a time. Give the novice enough time so a fast pro can’t catch them, even if it means only 1 or 2 cars on course. Several of the red flags were due to pro drivers catching noobs.

2. Cars were launching so quickly it was very difficult to get back and forth to stations 2 and 3 without being uncomfortably close to a running car. Next time it might be better to just have one car on that section of the course during worker changes.

3. Hold the workers at the work assignment tent until both replacements are available (for stations that have 2 workers, which should be all of them). It might mean someone has to work an extra few minutes, but having two people running out together means two people are watching for cars. In the cases I saw people running out in front of cars they were always alone. If they were walking out with someone hopefully their buddy would say “stop dumbass, there is a car coming”.

4. If you have two people working safety, and they are in the same run group, one of you has to agree to run in a different group. Curt and I did it a lot last year because CS and ES often run together.

5. Safety HAS to have a radio. They’re the guys that are scanning the entire grounds and will often be the first to see a potential problem. Having to scream across the course for a flag often takes several attempts. Course workers, red flag means whole course red flag. That way if station 5 maybe didn’t hear it, they’ll still see station 6 waving the flag and know to do the same.

6. Car spacing is everyone’s job. It’s pretty easy to tell when the trailing car is gaining too much on the lead car. Red flag them if there is any doubt.

7. When your shift is over, find the shortest path OFF the course. Just because you need to go to the bathroom, or your hungry, does not mean you should take a straight line to the porta-john or grill. Pick a route that gets you to a safe spectator area as quickly as possible. Course workers, be ready for someone who doesn’t do this, and tell them which way to go.

Should be an interesting safety speech at the next event.

That was a teriffic course! lots of fun and very fast! lol to bad i put up my fastest times in the fun runs! oh well, i REALLY need to get better tires…

Oh yea any pics or vids from yesturday?

Agreed. There are a few worker spots where having experience is critical. This is one of them. This should be a responsibility of the worker chair to define who is good at certain positions and who best fits “on-course” situations.

With rolling worker changes I am not sure how you would do this effectively since the worker changes would have to sync with the starter is way to focused on the course and current hot cars to care or distract himself with workers coming up to him.

A better solution would be to identify the “worker paths” that everyworker needs to take to get to their positions. This way the safety steward can work with the worker chair pre-event to determine the safest path of eggress across the course for the individual positions.

I know I was starter for 1 turn and twice had people who looked at me and stopped as they saw me about to start a car and proceeded to run across to station 1 right after the crossing car passed and I had started the car at the line. That’s nobody’s fault except for the workers. So providing them with an alternative way would be better.

That should be common practice by the worker chair. If not, that would need to be addressed.

This too should be common practice. There should ALWAYS be 1 SS on station with a radio at ALL times. I would even go so far as to say the SS’s and the Chair/Co chairs should all spread themselves out as far as possible for runs to make sure as many people are on station as possible.

I thought this would be a requirement of not on the SS but the chair as well?

Easy for an experienced person yes. For a newb or a relatively inexperienced person, no. This is why SS should always have a radio period.

See my comments on #2.

But those are just IMHO of course.

Here are two pics of my last run in the 510, was a 61.7 (clean) IIRC. Like I was saying at the event, that car is a BLAST, I’ll never buy another e30 before I’ve played with 510’s. Once again, thanks Cleatus!

http://www.mturck.com/Autox/2006-04-30/DSC_0946.jpg
Drifting into the tight turn with the trifecta (never hit it ;))

http://www.mturck.com/Autox/2006-04-30/DSC_0958.jpg
The turn-around, bit of 3 wheeling with some countersteer.

Hopefully others post some of their galleries today.

lol you definately were having fun in that car yesturday.

YEA…some nice drifts at the finish

We called the Sherrif’s on the Crazy Caddy Guy in the morning because he wouldn’t sign the waiver. He calmed down a bit at that point. But he called the cops on us later that day (Troopers and Sherrif). When the Sherrif showed up, we just directed him to the Trooper that was already there.

You should have seen him the night before when we were setting up. I knew there was something wrong with him as soon as he opened his mouth.

did anythign come out of it…like were te cops on our side

Apparently, the Sherrifs were familiar with this guy, but they had to show up just to keep up appearances. They said that he sits there and records the kids car stereos because they are too loud, and then complains about it. A real nut job. I am just surprised that this is the first we have heard of him.

I know its probably harmless but i really don’t appreciate that he was walking around so close to people’s cars filming all their info.

So he doesnt appreciate loud cars??? lol , he must really hate most of us, especially me.

Joe

u are quiet compared to Andy and Jeremy

your welcome :slight_smile: thanks for fixing the scanner…I never thought I could miss something so much :lol: I thought the course was awesome too…tons of fun :slight_smile: NCCC is a great spot for some speed!

Yeah I was kinda wondering what that guy was doing…he walked by me filming in the morning while I was changing my tires, and he was commenting “you can see they are changing thier tires.” Well no shit man! That’s soooo illegal I know. That guy was clearly off his rocker. And even if he did have something worth while on his 70’s video camera, I’m pretty sure court rooms don’t have beta max players. :lol: