40mpg truck. How?

people are bored at work, alot of people are laid off, why not spend some time building this in your head?

What would it take to get 40mpg highway in a truck? is it possible?
What I was thinking is obviousl a diesel swap into a smaller truck, suck as an s10, ranger, 1500.

I remember that mint chevelle that had 1000 torque, and 31 mpg. I’m thinking there has to be a way to de tune the motor to get 30 + city and 40 highway, and still be able to haul parts / tow 5k.

discuss.

Make it out of plastic and aluminum like the chinese do

get a civic and cut the rear half of the roof off and turn it all into a truck bed.

Lol I thought of that before

Put a diesel in it, thats the only way.

duramax in a S-10 with tall gears would get you close and still do some hard core burnouts. swap could be done cheap. Probably use a 4L80E out of the duramax express instead of the allison to save weight. It would definitely put you in the mid 30’s all day

edit: + it would be a relatively easy and inexpensive swap.

1.9 TDI’s get 40-50 mpg. I think something like a 3.0 turbo into a 1/2 ton would do pretty good

hmmmm ive got the shell.

Hopefully the tranny will hold…

There was a guy a year or so ago, with a Jeep GC with a 4bt and an overdrive trans swapped into it. He claimed 35mpg from the posts/info I saw.

someone find me a diesel motor that will bolt to my turbo 350 and get good mpg, and if its cheap enough ill consider it, fuck it.

Jack needs to post in this thread. HE converted one of his trucks to bio diesel. Pretty sure that he got insane MPG.

I’d like an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer, with all it’s wood-paneled goodness, that got even decent fuel economy. I’d ditch my Cherokee for one in a second if they didn’t suck gas. It can be done, it’s just a matter of cost and engineering.

I’m no expert, but I’ve heard of people putting Volkswagen TDIs into Wranglers and getting 30+

Probably still got 10-12mpg of “liquid put in the tank”, but since he would only use a couple gallons of diesel fuel a month before switching the engine to running on WVO (which is completely different from bio-diesel, btw), he would only count the diesel fuel used for MPG.

Probably used something like 10 gallons of diesel, 190 gallons of WVO to go 2k miles. Instead of saying 10mpg, he said 200. Basically, it was a joke from his sig. :lol:

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

And to answer the question. It’s already been done. Here is the recipe:

Small truck + small diesel engine = MPG win. I’m sure with a more modern engine, as long as you don’t need to worry about emissions, you’d have better MPG and more power.[COLOR=“Silver”]

isn’t a truck that small kind of useless though?

Make it go downhill everywhere, you’ll get your mileage there…

theres guys taking stock 4.3 s10’s and replacing the nv3500 5speed with the t56 6speed and theyre getting 30 mpg…and the later 4.3’s werent too bad. had 195hp 260ftlbs

theyre probably keeping the 3.08 final gear is my guess.

Buy a Mahindra Diesel pick-up at Doerschel (sp) in Rochester ?

do a tdi swap in a VW caddy lol

I don’t feel like searching for it now, but it has already been done. It was in Diesel Power or Diesel World a few months ago.