420a turbo ecu program

i have a 97eclipse with the 420a engine in it i am thinking about putting a turbo in there but i dont know if there is a free program out there for the ecu to reprogram it or if i have to send it out , i read somehwere thati would have to send it out and i am not looking to spend 500+ to send it out wait three weeks then get it back when i could do it myself , i tried dsmlink but it wouldnt seem to download on my computer any1 else have any other ecu program that might help ??

thanks

I ran my stock ECU when I went that route way back when. A SAFC, a logger, and one of those Missing Links for the MAP sensor, should be all you need for basic tuning. If you upgrade the injectors then you’ll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I used a Vortech sfmu if memory serves correct.

You really can’t squeeze much power out of those 420a’s. If you really want to go crazy you could go with AEM EMS but that is overkill for your application.

no there isnt.

the way to go with a turbo 420A is a megasquirt. www.2gnt.com www.msefi.com and www.baldturbofreak.com . the last link is a guy that tuned a megasquirt 420a and made 236 to the wheels and knows the MS really well.

my friend Brian built a 420A turbo eclipse with megasquirt as well but is still tuning it and its away for the winter.

you can make a decent amount of power from them but to be safe you need rods and pistons. then 500hp is possible with good components and tuning.

Brian

1st
Megasquirt is the way to go if you wanna risk it, the only problem is it isnt used too widley compared to an AEM system or sumthing of that nature. im using the portfueler and the fuel curve is pre calbirated that can be adjusted way easier than using a MS, i jus use the MSD DIS II to adjust spark and retard timing up top. Get a bolt on kit good for 275 crank horse without any other mods on stock injectors, block even and such, www.hahnracecraft.com or jus put up a used turbo offa GSX in the junkyard with an ECU and go to town,

2nd
thats totally untrue about not making much power, i’m teaming up with 2nd glance motorsports and using his hahn portfueler kit on my sohc neon that he topped out at 575 crank horse

its possible to make a shitload of power in any car, of course 4 bangers have 2 less cylinders so they cant go as far as a 6 or 8, but im sure your eclipse is more than able to satisfy you

basically you dont gotta get too insane with tuning if your setup isnt making STuPID HP

just dont let us know if its an automatic :bloated:

PS

jus to let eveyrone know, im aware im new on here and i dont wana offend ne one or piss ne one off, im just throwin in my 2 cents =)

My car was an autotragic. Talk about doomed from the get-go. A lady ended up rear-ending me at a redlight so I got a do-over.

I got smart and bought a 5 speed TSi AWD. Just a much better platform to start from.

[quote=“Carbonfiberhooded,post:6,topic:39781"”]

I got a do-over.

[/quote]

That made me LOL hard.

nope not autotragic

whta is this mega squirt im lost here guys sorry

turbo420a <*

trust me, i know from experience. the only positive i took out of turboing my 420a was the difficult lesson i learned. but shit, i was only 18 at the time (goddamn, almost 7 years ago). i learned a lot about turbosystems and mechanics in general, but it sure did cost a lot of $$$ and time.

megasquirt isnt “taking a chance”… its a very good system for a very good price. tell Jim Parish that he is taking a chance with his Silverado… i dont think that 1000AWHP is taking a chance. :slight_smile:

anyway. megasquirt is a stand alone engine managment that can be bought in a build-it-yourself form if you can solder well or in prebuilt kits. go to www.diyautotune.com for diy kits. what you really want is this http://www.rs-autosport.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=249

brian

i think i am going to go with the mega squirt kit if i do decide to do it , my buddy has a crx and it didnt seem like this much trouble plus i was planning on getting his turbo which has a b16 flange and i know they dont make a b16 flange to bolt to a 420a , he is trying to convince me to get another engine and build it up and get rid of the 420a all general and im starting to think that maybe it might be a good idea … not sure what im doing yet thanks for all the info guys been real helpful

any1 know if a stock turbo ecu would work?

[quote=“97eclipse420a,post:13,topic:39781"”]

any1 know if a stock turbo ecu would work?

[/quote]

no…

another motor swap isnt a viable option either. at the very least youll need a fuel pump (stock wont cut it), larger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, return line, megasquirt and an intercooler. with that youll be fine for ~240whp which will be decent.

Brian

[quote=“reliant_turbo,post:14,topic:39781"”]

no…

another motor swap isnt a viable option either. at the very least youll need a fuel pump (stock wont cut it), larger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, return line, megasquirt and an intercooler. with that youll be fine for ~240whp which will be decent.

Brian

[/quote]

idk if its just me on here but im sure no one is really impressed by fast neons and talons i gues i like them because theyre cheap cars to build, but with that setup on 420A engine ppl push fucking 700 horse depending on what size injector and regulator you run

im asuming u mean if his motor isnt built? about 250 pounds of torque will take out the rods

btw megasquirt is a risk, anything you build is a risk thats why i got 5 billion gauges in my car =p

no offense, but i think you need to do a lil bit more research on turboing your car. try out 2gnt.com lots of great info over there, and will probally answer any question you might have. with that said, if you do go the turbo route, i would totally run megasquirt. Thats your best bang for your buck. great program which alot of ppl are make good numbers with. but in your case it sounds like you wanna run low boost so, you will be fine with stock injectors, fmu and a missing link, but you will need to upgrade your fuel pump. That should get you up to about 195hp give or take. anything over that you will need to upgrade injectors and use w/e tuning method you choose(fmu will not work will larger injectors) I would not push the stock block over 225hp. if your interested, i have a complete 420a turbo kit off my eclipse iam lookin to get rid of. anyways, good luck. would like to see another turbo 420a out runnin.

portfueler o yEAH 8 injectors :headbang:

97eclipse420a, i admit that you should do a little more learning about what is available and some of the theory and application about turbocharging or have someone help you that has done this before.

UB, who cares if anyone is impressed. if its fast and you like it, thats all that matters. :slight_smile:

risks… performance in general is a risk. :slight_smile: thats why i pointed him to rs-autosport for a prebuilt and pretested unit.

though I wouldnt risk pushing the stock rods, you guys are underestimating them. alot of folks pop them due to shoddy tuning and a lack of adequate knock detection.

they are the same dimensions as a stock turbododge LW rod (though the big end is wider on the 2.0L… ) and ive seen quite a few 12 old school td’s on Lightweight rods. now the turbo 2 rod, thats a different story. 500whp is pretty safe on those. too bad the 2.0L has a wider big end of the rod, you could use SRT rods and turbo 2 rods then. the length is the same.

Brian

yea i am doing some research i just wanted to see what every1 had to say about it , im not looking to run alot of boost at all , ifi do go the turbo route i am going to run mega squirt unless i come across a good deal on something else , and as for a another motor i would do the bigger injectors and such im not a total idiot with cars just turbos im not going to lie and say i know alot about them but im learning and as for the rods and stuff i wouldnt be running no crazy boost prob tops 8lbs … with that said 97 eclipse what u want for ur set up ?